Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schools with larger gay population?

ilmesemble18ilmesemble18 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
edited July 2006 in Transfer Students
I'm going to be a sophmore at UCSD and am looking to transfer to the following schools:
UCLA, Berkeley, Stanford, Northwestern, UChicago, NYU, maybe Columbia or Yale?
Anyway, it's not that I'm hating UCSD or anything, I just feel a bit trapped here with the straighter-than-average and often socially inept student body. I am certainly not looking to be president of the LGBTQIA nor am I looking to have a big fat gay pride parade everyday on campus, but I AM looking for a school that accepts an attractive and relatively large gay population. I'm not the "typical" gay guy, so I don't want/need the trendy shopaholic ***** crew, just some normal people I can relate to. I can see how this post could be taken as completely shallow and/or stupid...however true that may be, I am still looking to transfer for this reason among others. This isn't my only reason for wanting to transfer, though, I promise!
Anyway, so far at UCSD I've gotten a 4.0 and I'm pretty sure I'll be majoring in Sociology, Economics, Communications, or some kind of combination of the three. I am also wondering which schools (on the list above and off) would be best for these majors.
Any advice from students at these colleges (gay or straight, I don't discriminate) would be appreciated. Also, if any of you have any advice on the whole transferring process, I am pretty clueless!
Thanks a lot,
-S
Post edited by ilmesemble18 on

Replies to: Schools with larger gay population?

• brand_182brand_182 Posts: 7,589Registered User Senior Member
    Out of those schools, I'd say NYU and Yale are the "gayest." You might also add Tufts to that list. I don't really know too much a/b the gay community at many schools, but usually those that are ranked as more "diverse" don't just refer to race, so that can be helpful.

If you wanna take it down a peg, New College of Florida was named one of the most diverse schools in the nation, if not the most diverse, so there are certainly a lot of gay people there.
  • jsleejslee Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    NYU and Columbia seem to be the right choices for you. I do discriminate too "
    straight" student bodies... It's pointless and boring after all. Try to look for schools located in major urban areas either NE or W.
  • ilmesemble18ilmesemble18 Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Thanks guys ^, oh and....does anyone know if colleges require the new SAT for transfers? I read some post that Stanford is gonna require the new SAT?
  • CardinalFocusedCardinalFocused Posts: 2,096Registered User Senior Member
    I would say Berkeley. I'm not sure how big the gay population is as a whole, but I'd say the majority of people on campus are pretty accepting.

In any case, Cal might also be easier to transfer to compared to the other schools listed.

Best wishes, Cardinal :)
  • GlobalistGlobalist Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    I don't if this is true, but someone once told me that the queer group at NYU is one of the largest student organizations at NYU. Also, re. Yale's gay population, they have a saying at Yale - "1 in 4, maybe more." I hear Vassar has a significant gay population as well.
  • KG974KG974 Posts: 467Registered User Member
    umm ive heard that BU is very "gay" lol... soo yeah the more urban prolly the more openmindedness