Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC intercampus transfer info, chances?

subjecttochangesubjecttochange Posts: 180- Junior Member
edited August 2006 in Transfer Students
I am a BioE major at UCSD, trying to do a junior transfer out of here. I really dont like BioE and I don't like San Diego. I came into UCSD as a pre-med, but I don't want to go to med school anymore, but UCSD is only known for its life sciences, so I am trying to switch out.

Is it true that intercampus transfers must have a forceful reason for transferring? In my case, do I have to basically apply to majors that UCSD does not offer?

Also, I know sometimes UC's will ask for additional information, like rec letters and such, does this happen often, and is it for borderline applicants only? I don't know any profs here personally, I hate this school.

Does anyone know much about the ChemE department at Berkeley as far as transferring is concerned? Is it impacted or fairly open to transfers? That's what I am looking at right now.

p.s. "Our records show that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today and be part of our community! Ask a question, give your opinion, or just say hello in the Cafe!" This is BS, I posted here when I was still in HS.
Post edited by subjecttochange on

Replies to: UC intercampus transfer info, chances?

• eanicicheanicich Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    I think this is a subject that does not receive enough recognition on this board. I too am trying to transfer from one UC to another. UCSB to UCLA. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • starryqt22starryqt22 Posts: 576Registered User Member
    I don't think the UC's ask for recommendation letters.
  • dhl3dhl3 Posts: 2,666Registered User Senior Member
    Simple Advice to UC-to-UC Transfers:

1.) Get good grades (Above 3.5)
    2.) Participate in campus clubs/organizations
    3.) Get Employed/Intern (or anything you do in the "Real World")
    3.) Write good Essay

*UCs won't look at the rec. letters, so don't even bother preparing one.
  • subjecttochangesubjecttochange Posts: 180- Junior Member
    I have zero research experience, because I am just beginning my upper div course work, and I really don't know what area I want to do. Well, I am beginning to know NOW, but not during freshman year.

Would it look really fake on the app if I were to join a lab group or something during the fall quarter?

Also, I have very few campus org involvements (I only have some college debating experience, and stupid stuff like Society of BioE's) and no employment, because I am on a scholarship here, and I am really lazy. I have good grades though, I have never gotten below an A-, and I have taken a very rigorous courseload, math up to real analysis, physics up to quantum, chem up to o-chem. So basically, I am a total nerd, and I am not that well rounded, do I have a shot at Cal's ChemE department, or am I screwed and should just forget about it?
  • hobofromdowntownhobofromdowntown Posts: 2,232Registered User Senior Member
    its okay, its all about GPA GPA GPA and a little essay.