College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
Expelled from high school in 2001, within months of graduating.
My transcript doesn't say it though!!!
BUT: It's missing my last semester of senior year classes, and i have a G.E.D. (I blew the G.E.D out of the water)
Hs tran says: number in class 100/351
Hs gpa: 3.15 (i had some honors classes that counted as five, is that weighted?)
Act Composite: 26: eng 27, mat 22, read 30, sci 24,
extra curriculars? uhm, 4 years of marching band, head of the computer club, couple of art awards. nothing really significant.
I picked up immediately in spring of 2001, fortunately i was enrolled in dual credit English, trig and calculus, so i went to the local community college to finish that. I made C's.
I took some time off and didn't go back until spring of 2003, made more C's.
Failed out because of attendance in spring of 2004 and put on acedemic probation. Was appealed based on a essay i wrote explaining my situation. 22 hours of W's.
Took two years off and started a car lot which i ran into the ground. Started another business a few months ago wholesaling electronics online, doing ok so far.
When back to college full time fall of 06. Finally taking my science sequence, trying to challenge myself with pre-cal and chemistry after a 6 year absence from math and science. Making straight A's
Community college gpa at the end of this semester: 3.32
I expect to graduate in the spring, but i'm already applying to a bunch of colleges because of dates. So spring gpa won't really matter. But the most i can possibly get it up to is 3.45.
I'm interested in:
Business, (probably going for an MBA eventually)
Computer science. (i have great ideas, i can do the math but i don't necessarily like it)
Film/directing (always wanted to do it but it conflicts heavily with my interests in technology entrepreneurship)
I applied to UCLA as a junior transfer yesterday for their film program and to Berkeley as a CS major. I live in Tennessee. My essays are fantastic. (i'm hoping this will save me???)
Now for the questions:
1. Do i have a shot at Vanderbilt, UBC, UCLA, USC, NYU, FSU, or any GOOD college as a transfer student with a shaky career like this? Or am i stuck going to local state schools?
2. Does anyone know anything about MTSU (middle tn state u), or their mass communication / production program? Would i be better off going to UTKnoxville because it's ranking 80-something? even though their CS program sucks?
3. Is any school going to let me Dual-Degree (or major) in CS and Film production with my 75 credits of general + some math? I'm asking this because of credit limit and semester limits. It seems that i wouldn't be able to double because it would take me at least 3.5 more years.
4. Would it be better to get a CS major with a film minor or vice-versa?
5. I'm getting 100% financial aid because i'm 24. If i accept it all and go to a state school i will graduate with over 20k extra (mostly in loans) I currently have some of this invested in stocks and land and plan on using it for start-up capital towards a business when i graduate. Of course, i'm getting it in increments. If i go to an out of state school this will all be spent on tuition and expenses.
-Is education at one of the better schools worth that price? Or would i do better to graduate debt free / invested in something YET with a degree from a state school.
If there's any other information i can provide, let me know. I could write pages about this stuff, but i'm trying to keep it concise. Trying to get the pertinent information out in such a small space feels like trying to explain Shogi to you in three minutes... Your move.