Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ivy Schools In Training!

kunfuzed101kunfuzed101 Posts: 761Registered User Member
edited December 2006 in Transfer Students
NAME SOME OF THE "NEW IVIES" GAINING RECOGNITION. LATELY I'VE BEEN HEARING ALOT ABOUT:

McCALESTER COLLEGE IN MINNESOTA AS THE NEW "IT" COLLEGE....POSSIBLY BECAUSE OF THEIR FAMOUS ALUMNI i.e. KOFI ANNAN.

- BOSTON COLLEGE IN M.A.

- BRYN MAWR

- VASSAR COLLEGE IN N.Y.

- UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN - ANN ARBOR
Post edited by kunfuzed101 on

Replies to: Ivy Schools In Training!

• YuryYury Posts: 220Registered User Junior Member
    I know CMU is definitely on that list.
  • nspedsnspeds Posts: 5,382- Senior Member
    Uhhh... nothing screams Ivy more than the fact that Georgetown was offered a spot in the league back in the day.
  • ckmets13ckmets13 Posts: 2,294Registered User Senior Member
    I thought the Georgetown thing was a rumor, but I really dont know
  • shoebox10shoebox10 Posts: 3,540Registered User Senior Member
    yeah i vote g'town...
    I thought the Georgetown thing was a rumor, but I really dont know

...I thought so too, until a Jesuit here told me the story.
  • RedduneReddune Posts: 1,483Registered User Senior Member
    Hmm...interesting fact about G-town. I wonder if G-town would rank higher if it had joined the Ivy. If so, would that just mean that by being in the Ivy-League you automatically get rank higher, or would G-town be where it ranks right now (and therefore be the lowest ranked Ivy).

[yes, we can all say ranking is superficial, but it does make you think.]
    I've also speculated about how Georgetown's status as an Ivy-League school would have affected its ranking.

I don't think I care that much. No one really seems to care about the Ivy-League here – except for post-grad. I thought we had a bad-case of Ivy-Envy, but I've seen cases that are much worse at higher-ranked schools, and I've met many students here who turned down upper- and lower- tier Ivys for Georgetown.

UChicago, Northwestern, and Emory are three good examples.
  • brand_182brand_182 Posts: 7,589Registered User Senior Member
    I had always heard that Georgetown should be ranked considerably higher but is suffering due to financial shortcomings compared to other top universities.
  • pellmanpellman Posts: 671Registered User Member
    I also hear Bowdoin is getting up there relative to the other top ranked LAs.
  • sasha_csasha_c Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    I've heard great things about Vassar but it seems quite small to really make into that league. As an international I have not heard of anyone outside the States and maybe Canada.
    Personally the Southern elite schools appeal more to me than those huge ones with larger than life reps. Or maybe it's just the climate I like.lol.
  • different_stepsdifferent_steps Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    Don't forget RICE
    I had always heard that Georgetown should be ranked considerably higher but is suffering due to financial shortcomings compared to other top universities.

That and we have an enormous amount of part-time professors.

Also, we have a tendency to hire ousted political officials – I hear Rumsfeld is next. This tendency is detrimental to our academic reputation!
    Don't forget RICE

Rice is unique. I don't think Rice students or admins would want their school qualified as an Ivy-League school or as "Ivy-Caliber." They are pretty proud of their school as it is, and pride themselves for their uniqueness. I admire that. Rice students are some of the most intellectually secure students I have ever met.
  • werd814werd814 Posts: 1,083Registered User Senior Member
    don't forget Colby ;-)