Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can you transfer after one year?

kaiikaii Posts: 342Registered User Member
edited January 22 in Transfer Students
Can you transfer to another school after completing one year undergrad? Come in as a sophomore or something? Thanks.
Post edited by kaii on

Replies to: Can you transfer after one year?

• Thomas_Thomas_ Posts: 629Registered User Member
    Depends on the university you want to transfer to. Some accept sophomore transfers, yes.
  • clam_chowderclam_chowder Posts: 186Registered User Junior Member
    i think most of univs accept sophomore transfer. depends
  • GlueEaterGlueEater Posts: 1,002Registered User Senior Member
    Lets say a university has pre-reqs, but they intend for soph transfers. If you choose to transfer freshman year would you still need to complete all of those?
  • burgler09burgler09 Posts: 1,386Registered User Senior Member
    GlueEater, it depends on the school, some will want you to finish everything before you come and others will just want to see you are making progress towards the prereqs and just require you take them once you get there. One of the biggest differences between transferring after one year is that more weight is placed on ACT and high school gpa. Once you are a sophmore transferring for junior admission much more weight is placed on college and little to no weight is placed on your high school and ACT.
  • LogosLogos Posts: 354Registered User Member
    It helps if you have enough units to get into junior year.
  • kindofbluekindofblue Posts: 204Registered User Junior Member
    Certainly, that's what I'm doing.
  • CaillebotteCaillebotte Posts: 1,546Registered User Senior Member
    A clear upside of transferring after one year is that you spend less time being miserable at your current school.
    A clear upside of transferring after one year is that you spend less time being miserable at your current school.
    Oh god yes.
  • j-heston22j-heston22 Posts: 32Registered User Junior Member
    kindofblue, what were your strengths in your application
    Essay. Probably recs.
    Cool, thanks. That makes me feel better b/c I have far from outstanding college EC's.
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    It depends on how many credits you have and which school you're transferring to. Most schools go by credits not that you've been there for a year or three years.
    Cool, thanks. That makes me feel better b/c I have far from outstanding college EC's.
    I literally had none.
    kindofblue, you transferred to washu, right? if that is the case, where are you from and where did you transfer from?
    kindofblue, you transferred to washu, right? if that is the case, where are you from and where did you transfer from?
    I have not yet transferred, but yes, I will be there in the fall.

I am transferring from the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).
This discussion has been closed.