Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

One semester transfer

SamBorSamBor Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited August 2012 in Transfer Students
Is it possible to transfer after one semester at one college to another one? I started a college this fall as a freshman and would like to transfer in the spring. However the application deadline is mid-november, and my first set of grades wont be out until december...
Would I have to skip spring semester and wait until summer?
Alternativly, I could just withdraw from this school now and try again at the new school in spring, but I have a feeling the acceptance board would have nothin to do with such an option...
Post edited by SamBor on

Replies to: One semester transfer

• BourneBourne Posts: 982Registered User Member
    Your acceptance/denial would be dependent on your high school performance.

Also, if you're applying to schools that require LOR's ... will you be able to get decent ones by mid Nov?
  • williams348williams348 Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    Are you really that unhappy with your school now? You couldn't have been there for much longer than a week.. may wanna give it a chance! But if you're going to withdraw do it before the cutoff for a full tuition refund. If your target school accepts spring enrollment for freshmen which is rare for 4-year schools I would apply as a freshmen rather than a transfer.
  • cjmcjm Posts: 105Registered User Junior Member
    Why as a freshman? Would student still be considered for merit money? Transfers do not receive any merit aid, or do they?
  • williams348williams348 Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    Freshman generally receive priority over transfer students and have an easier time being admitted to schools because the school accepts more of them. I can't speak for merit money specifically as that's dependent on the school's policy but yes freshman generally do receive better financial aid packages than transfer students as well.
  • SamBorSamBor Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    No, the college im transfering to doesnt require LOR's...but I think my best option is just to stick out the semester and see if I like it, and then transfer spring if I dont
  • ferryboat10ferryboat10 Posts: 636Registered User Member
    As williams said, are the schools you're applying to reaches, matches or safeties coming out of HS? It is very hard to get into a reach with just 1 semester or year to improve upon your HS record. Not only have you not proven significantly your college record, but transfer admissions are more selective.
  • dlavier21dlavier21 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Regarding the same situation. Do you need recommendations from college professors or high school instructors? Any help is much appreciated.
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,657Registered User Senior Member
    College profs/TAs (see sticky thread: Transfer Admissions 101 for a discussion)
  • theway007theway007 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Hey, so I am a freshman this year at this private school down in florida. i don't like anything about it at all. I'm in college and i have a curfew, when people can come up to my dorm and what i wear. I wasn't sure what i was totally getting into and i wish i did because i don't like it here at all. everyone says to wait to out for a year then decide if i want to transfer, but i have my mind set and i want to transfer after the first semester to a suny school, oneonta or cortland preferably. Does anyone know if it is possible for me to do that? I have 15 credits, so please anyone just let me know!
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,657Registered User Senior Member
    ^^start a new thread with your question.
  • college_ruledcollege_ruled Posts: 1,243Registered User Senior Member
    I know someone who wasn't happy first semester, took a leave of absence for her second semester, and applied to schools for the fall.
  • BusyBee427BusyBee427 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    That is so ironic! I planned to go to Florida for college but last minute switched to Hartwick College, which is in Oneonta, NY, right next to SUNY!! Will be starting there in a couple weeks =D
This discussion has been closed.