Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Carnegie Mellon, Lehigh University, GWU, Colgate University

WMTRIBE08WMTRIBE08 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member

This e-mail is in regards of transferring during this upcoming semester, (Spring 09 to be exact) to either Carnegie Mellon, Lehigh University, George Washington University or Colgate University. Since I have a bad HS GPA of 2.4 and a College GPA of 3.62 with 69 credits amassed, I have some mixed reviews and notions about my chances. Also, I never took the SAT because I was unsure and undecided about what I wanted in college. CMU (Carnegie Mellon) says I shouldn't fret about the SAT'S and so does Lehigh and GWU. However Colgate is telling me since I have alot of credentials maybe they can waive the requirement for me. I currently, attend a really good community college (Montgomery College in Maryland) so I know that this will help my chances of admittance but what about my offset HS GPA. I am a biochemistry major, with a Spanish minor and have take wide array of courses from literature, genetics, chemistry, biology, calculus, and even phys ed. With this being said I know that I'm a very well rounded candidate but what about by admittance chances. I have taken at least 6 or seven science classes and 4 math ones to, so what I'm getting at is will this help my chances into the Mellon College of Science at Carnegie Mellon. Also, I should be able to delve straight into my major at any of these schools correct. Lastly, do to an unfortunate mishap, I received a grade of a D and C in college. However I retook those courses and ended up with a B and A. I guess i can include a little grade discrepancy essay right. Finally, the one thing that is mostly on my mind is my college hiatus. Since I haven't been in college for two yrs, (2006 to be exact) I'm concerned that this might affect my chances of admission. However, I still stayed productive by working at a neuro science lab, advertising for a sports agency, and tutoring students in subjects that range from math to Spanish. Now, viewing this what are my chances of admission to these elite institutions?