Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How important are High School grades?

gsmax6gsmax6 Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Transfer Students
I think my average GPA for high school is ~3.0ish (probably lower); with a 3.5 junior year and a 4.0 senior year.

Do you think I could possibly transfer into any of the top 10 universities, or do they put a lot of weight on High School grades?

P.S. Will most likely be attending mediocre 4-year in-state university (University of Arizona)
Post edited by gsmax6 on

Replies to: How important are High School grades?

• wayward_trojanwayward_trojan Posts: 1,301Registered User Senior Member
    As a sophomore it would be incredibly unlikely, as your high school transcript is heavily weighted in the admissions decision. As a junior transfer, your college grades would matter far more than anything earned in high school.

For now, just enjoy UA and immerse yourself in your work. Put transferring out of mind for now and just focus on doing well and having fun, as you're much more likely to do well and keep your options open later with solid grades and ECs.
  • HopefulEagle86HopefulEagle86 Posts: 1,380- Member
    I think the OP has some caliber schools except Ivy Leagues that he's looking into. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Sophomore-switch is impossible unless he's able to pull the bigger string in from the river. However, I think he should call up a representative at the school he wants to transfer to and see what the person says. If he can keep up a 3.8+ GPA for his freshmen year + Summer (with maximum credits), I'd say he would have a great shot for the Spring admissions as a Sophomore.
  • AMorrisonAMorrison Posts: 675Registered User Member
    It can't hurt to apply, right? You'll likely have a better shot as a Junior transfer if you keep up the stellar college work, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot.