Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Community College Students Suck

hssenior814hssenior814 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2010 in Transfer Students
My apologies in advance for my futile attempt at a catchy-yet-not-sexual title.

I do not know how many community college students browse through this forum, but I am assuming there is a sufficient amount to comment on my concern/question.

Does coming from a community college hurt one's graduate prospects (such as applying to graduate schools, getting a job, etc.)?

I guess my underlying concern is that coming from a community college, regardless of transferring to an elite university like U.C. Berkeley and others, may damage my academic reputation simply because I chose another way to reach the college of my dreams.

So forum, does going to community college hurt one's chances at a decent job/graduate school, or is the diploma good enough?

Thanks.
Post edited by hssenior814 on

Replies to: Community College Students Suck

• CupertinotransfrCupertinotransfr Posts: 442- Member
    Going to community college makes it so 4 years straight from hs will always get priority when it comes to employment opportunities. You are out of luck.
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,661Registered User Senior Member
    Attending a CC for your first two years does not impact your future grad school or employment opportunities. Your life is what you make it, my story:

CCC > UCB > MS > PhD > Researcher for 30 yrs
  • JahabaJahaba Posts: 814Registered User Member
    It shouldn't. Apart from academic reasons (struggling in HS), many HS graduates go the community college route because of financial considerations (it's cheaper to do the gen-ed stuff at a CC and do your actual major at the 4-year.

Be warned; there was a parent's thread late last year in which (if I remember it right) an employer mentioned that he didn't hire people who went community college / 4-year route.
  • 45daysinrome45daysinrome Posts: 570Registered User Member
    I have to agree with entomom. The first year or two of college do not really matter as much as the last two. Essentially it only matters where you graduate from.
  • HandlebarsHandlebars Posts: 380Registered User Member
    this is a nice story that sort of pertains to your situation:

http://sungball.xanga.com/721241691/...uperficiality/
  • JahabaJahaba Posts: 814Registered User Member
    Fantastic quote from Handlebars' link:
    This is a slice of what one would find at a typical community college – people who are underprivileged, looking to start anew, and are working just as hard as those who have had a traditional path to college.

But this quote is also telling:
    It doesn’t take a genius to notice the awkward silence that looms when someone asks you where you attend, and you answer, “[Name] Community College.” And telling a girl you're 24 and in community college? Forget it. You might as well tell her your favorite hobby is fellatio. You'll get the same kind of response, I assure you – "Oh...."

There will be d-bags everywhere, and it's not completely impossible that one of them might be an employer with an elitist attitude. But unless you're planning to move to a maquiladora in Northern Mexico, you should be able to find opportunities with people who don't have some silly attitude towards community colleges.
  • hssenior814hssenior814 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    Well thanks to all that have replied thus far.

I guess what I can take away from all this is that, like what entomom said, my life is really what I make it out to be.

But to satiate my inevitable curiosity, Cupertinotransfer, where are you basing your opinion from? I understand that by your own CC ID, you have implied that you are from a community college as well. I would appreciate further explanations so that I can either find dogmatic solutions to my predicament or dismiss your comment.
  • KhortonKhorton Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    No, not at all.

One of my brother's classmates at Harvard Med went to a community college first. A girl from my CC went to UCLA and is now in a graduate program at MIT. Another success story I heard is of a girl who went to Stanford from a CC and then off the UCB for grad school in English, for which it is ranked 1st in the nation for (or was).
  • TaggartNYTaggartNY Posts: 304Registered User Junior Member
    I doubt it'll come up for most cases.
  • CupertinotransfrCupertinotransfr Posts: 442- Member
    Misleading title needed a misleading answer lol