Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Withdrawing from a class and how it affects transfer decisions

stickynotesstickynotes Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited March 2010 in Transfer Students
I already applied for transfer for some of the top schools. (including HY) This semester has been little tough for me because I have to deal with some personal hardships and I am thinking of withdrawing one of my classes. (actually the hardest one) I talked to my dean about the situation and she wanted me to inform the schools before they send me the decisions so they are aware of this. I guess my question is how withdrawing from a class would affect their decision and even if I don't let them know before the decision, will they change their decisions after receiving final transcripts?
Should I even not consider withdrawing? (even knowing I might not do so well compare all of my other classes?)

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by stickynotes on

Replies to: Withdrawing from a class and how it affects transfer decisions

• cloutclout123cloutclout123 Posts: 145Registered User Junior Member
    I would call the schools you are worried about (HY) and ask them if a W could mean a revoked acceptance. See what they say and make your decision based on it.
  • NEU2NUNEU2NU Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    You need to call the schools (anonymously) and find out their policies. They probably will have a policy regarding Withdrawing, as well as a minimum semester GPA requirement. Make sure you find out where they stand in each regard.

If they are stingy, then you will have to use some Game Theory to decide your next move.
    lol.....NEU2NU, you said the same thing I did
  • NEU2NUNEU2NU Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    My bad... My intention was to build on your ideas, but I think I erased my new ideas before posting while only leaving yours.

So let me try again...

like cloutclout123 said, it is important that you contact YH before making any decision. Many schools may forgive withdraws, as long as you keep your GPA above their minimum threshold. So in that case, it is best to withdraw and work real hard in your other courses. That is what my friend did, and he is at Columbia now. Also, he did not tell Columbia before hearing from them. He only made sure that he would still be in the clear. He did not want to give them a reason to not accept him.

If you find out what Harvard and Yale's policies are, I would not mind helping you decide whether or not you should withdraw, and if you do withdraw whether or not your should let YH know.

@cloutclout123, I still may be repeating your original content, but hopefully I am bringing another perspective.
  • solidblusolidblu Posts: 853Registered User Member
    I've withdrawn from three classes, and yet I have still been accepted into UCSB and UCI so far. I don't think it matters much
    hahaha.... no its all good! Thanks for building on my idea.
  • stickynotesstickynotes Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thank you for the responses! I am planning on calling and asking them the question tomorrow. My final transcripts are going to be sent after decisions are made (most likely) and thus they will see that I withdrew from a class (if I decide to do so) after they send me the decision. As of now, I will be able to do well in my other courses. Just having one W (although the highest difficulty being the 300 class but not counting towards my major) will be enough reason for them to reconsider their admission decisions? Thanks. :)