Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

- Harvard Transfer 2011 -

dc12321dc12321 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in Transfer Students
I recently read that Harvard accepted around 20 transfer applicants this year after putting the kibosh on the transfer program due to space constraints. I want to apply next year for admission for the fall, 2011 semester as a juniorr. Please help me figure out what I need to do to in order to be accepted.

Secondary School Stats:
SATI: 2360 (12 essay), SATII: 800 (math II), 790 (US History), 780 (Physics)
GPA: High school valedictorian
AP: 14 APs, lowest grade 4.
EC: President of Music Club, Allstate instrumentalist, Editor on newspaper

Current
University: Penn (Engineering)
GPA: 3.8
EC: Orchestra, intern at a bulge bracket.
Reasons for transfer: been in the city my whole life, change of scenery would be nice,
more traditional college feel (residential college system), I want a larger selection of majors that arent all necessarily engineering, hopefully, better financial aid...

No hooks ...

Do I stand a chance? If not, how could I better my chances?
Also, any aspiring transfers, what are your rationalizations for wanting to transfer?
Post edited by dc12321 on

Replies to: - Harvard Transfer 2011 -

• dc12321dc12321 Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    bump... is there anyone else out there on CC who will be applying to Harvard as a junior in light of the renewal of the transfer program?
  • lenoradusklenoradusk Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    Hi dc,

I might attempt to transfer. I'm going to be visiting Harvard this summer to see if I like it enough to put myself through the stress of applying.

Although I thought the number they accepted was only 12...?
  • ironicallyunsureironicallyunsure Posts: 2,059- Senior Member
    dc, i'm surprised you didn't get in for freshman admissions. anyway, your stats look very competitive. i think those essays will need work. i wouldn't mention the financial aid part and the rest of your reasons seem kind of vague. if possible, research harvard and visit so that you can really write about what you love about it.
  • RedrosesRedroses Posts: 3,293- Senior Member
    Your stats put you in the running, but you need to give them an academic reason for your desire to transfer. Prof recs should be outstanding.
  • hahahahahhahahahah Posts: 1,051Registered User Member
    As the others have said, your stats are great, but it's going to come down to your essays, especially the why transfer one.
    thanks guys for your input, and ya, I agree the reasons are pretty vague. Hmm, well I spent a summer there years ago and I really liked the Cambridge area lol but besides that, I'm currently a computer science major who desires a liberal arts education as well. The thing is, in an engineering school you really don't have much time for anything else besides your required classes, which could make for a pretty one-dimensional education. I know I could fill a niche at Harvard SEAS and their comp sci major requires a less demanding computer courseload so there is most definitely more flexibility schedule-wise, which would allow my to explore more of my interests. TECH is appealing to me as well as the EconCS joint concentration. So there ya have it.
    Lenora, the number probably was 12. However, last year was not the norm: they announced they would allow transfers like in January and the apps were due in March. Next year, I predict admissions season should yield at least 85 acceptances, as it used to in '06, especially since they stopped admitting transfers only because they wanted to expand the size of the college.
    Good to know, dc. :)

EDIT: You said you spent a summer at Harvard? Was that Harvard SSP? How was it?
    hahha no dude, I did some program that is completely unaffiliated with harvard but was right next to brattle street. I know Harvard's campus pretty well also because I visited a few of my friends there last year. Compared with Penn, I think the housing situation is less comfortable, but the campus is picturesque and is exactly how anyone would preconceive a typical college campus (the dining hall is fking boss).
    Sounds awesome! Can you give me some insight on the weather? I've heard it's hot but I don't want to be caught in the cold wearing flip flops and shorts.
  • RedrosesRedroses Posts: 3,293- Senior Member
    Actually, I would expect transfer admissions to become increasingly competitive as word gets out that they are once again accepting transfers. And with other top colleges pulling back on aid and Harvard having truly exceptional aid, few will be leaving and I would not expect many open spots.
    hahah lenora u'd be better off asking someone from Boston but I mean just like most of the Northeast, summers are hot and winters are cold. It ranges from like 20-85 Monthly Averages for Boston, MA. And redroses, you may be right as I may be right in our speculations but really, no one knows what the future will bring.
  • phosphorusphosphorus Posts: 52Registered User Junior Member
    I am a current Harvard transfer waitlistee, in my letter, they said the number was indeed only 12...out of more than 600 (<2%)
    Well, if I don't apply, then my chances would be 0%.
    Do people ever bother transferring from Penn anyway? Should I just stick with my current situation?
This discussion has been closed.