Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"It's not easy being green." Do you agree?

holdingonholdingon Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Tufts University
I have never seen Sesame Street nor heard the phrase before so I am a little unsure as to its meaning.

It's not easy being green? Please educate me in the Sesame Street ways.
Post edited by holdingon on

Replies to: "It's not easy being green." Do you agree?

• sid518sid518 Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    I haven't watched the cartoon either. The best way is to avoid this topic I think.
  • WCASParentWCASParent Posts: 1,940Registered User Senior Member
    It's what Kermit the Frog says, but I suspect you need not be familiar with Sesame Street to write a response, should you choose this prompt.
  • kackackackac Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    I LOVED this prompt! Just search youtube to find the video of Kermit singing. Tufts had my favorite optional prompts out of the schools that I applied to. I had a good time with this one
  • marinaramarinara Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Oh. I never even realized this referred to Sesame Street, haha.

I think I responded assuming "green" meant "environmentally conscious."
  • HYPhoperHYPhoper Posts: 409Registered User Member
    green is supposed to mean anything you want to write about. vegetrian, environmental, young, etc...
  • fishface1fishface1 Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    This essay was the only essay of all my apps that I actually had fun writing. I love this prompt
  • Ivy_Equestrian18Ivy_Equestrian18 Posts: 319Registered User Member
    I love this prompt. I have a really weird response to it hahah.
  • kackackackac Posts: 70Registered User Junior Member
    I think it would be difficult to NOT have a weird response to it haha.
  • BurnThisBurnThis Posts: 746Registered User Member
    Green, as sung by Kermit, meant being overlooked, not being special (like those flashier colors). The song starts with him lamenting his ordinariness, but by the end, he celebrates his identity.
  • Ivy_Equestrian18Ivy_Equestrian18 Posts: 319Registered User Member
    I retrain ex-racehorses, and in equestrianism, a horse with very little training is referred to as 'green.' So I basically wrote about that; here's the link, if you're interested. :) The thing I love about these optional essays is that you really can just write about ANYTHING. I think that's a great way to showcase who you are.
    Tufts - It's Not Easy Being Green! (Or Is It?) - Optional Essay

ETA: I edited this and expanded the ending before submitting it haha!
  • DanAdmiss@TuftsDanAdmiss@Tufts Posts: 1,067College Rep Senior Member
    I didn't click on the link - just in case I come across your file in other contexts, I'd prefer to keep a pristine eye - but I think that's a grand idea you had. I suspect you'll be one of just a few people to interpret the prompt using that definition of the word green. Sounds like fun!
  • lspf72lspf72 Posts: 2,598Registered User Senior Member
    S2 also followed the Kermit theme, as opposed to 'Green Living.' His teacher did not think it was a good idea, but obviously he has a lot of company!
  • PhilKenSebbenPhilKenSebben Posts: 154Registered User Junior Member
    Equestrian, I responded to another prompt, but I really liked the way you handled that essay. Kudos.