Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Anyone here gotten their admission letter but not gotten money?

ReadyToRollReadyToRoll Posts: 1,137Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2009 in Tulane University
I keep hearing that everyone gets money...and maybe that will also be true on the admittedly skewed CC board. However, my son was recently admitted without a scholarship. Anyone else willing to admit it? :-)
Post edited by ReadyToRoll on

Replies to: Anyone here gotten their admission letter but not gotten money?

• fallenchemistfallenchemist Posts: 10,008Registered User Senior Member
    I know there was at least one other poster in a different thread that said they got no scholarship offer. But you are right that it will be skewed on this site.
  • lovegoldens123lovegoldens123 Posts: 74Registered User Junior Member
    I would LOVE to be able to admit my daughter got in with no merit $$ - if she is admitted, there is no way she will receive any merit $$ - and I will be very happy to say she was accepted with no merit $$!!! Still waiting...she's on the borderline...
  • VitracVitrac Posts: 1,497Registered User Senior Member
    You are right, ReadyToRoll. I keep forgetting that those posting on this site are more likely to get merit money. We are still waiting for the letter and hoping, hoping, hoping for money. Without it, my d won't be able to enroll. It's been a week and a half since the admissions decision on the site.
  • wmt1204wmt1204 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    D received formal letter with no scholarship offer. She e-mailed AC and asked if that indicated she would not be offered any money. AC advised that any offer of scholarship would have been in formal letter.
  • nj_momnj_mom Posts: 219Registered User Junior Member
    I have heard from so many people (outside of CC) that Tulane is very generous with their merit aid to entice students to attend. My d has been accepted (as seen online) but is anxiously awaiting her letter in the mail. Does anyone know if there are minimum stats for merit scholarship money or if you needed to indicated you plan to apply for scholarship on the application?
    Got letter today with no offer of money. I can't say it was totally unexpected but still... Does anyone know anything about the community service scholarships other than what is on the website?
  • nj_momnj_mom Posts: 219Registered User Junior Member
    How long did it take to receive your formal letter?
    it took exactly two weeks
    Just to keep us smiling, d received an e mail today (same day as snail mail acceptance and 2 weeks after online acceptance) asking her to apply!
    nj_mom: You cannot indicate applying for scholarship on application, all accepted students are considered for the main merit scholarships. You apply separately for two scholarships (DHS and Community Service), and there are a number that are Louisiana residents only. There would, of course, be no point in applying for the DHS if you were not offered the Presidential (25K) in the acceptance letter. As far as minimum stats, there is nothing official. I can only assume they have some formula, either an actual one or an understood one, that uses test scores and grades, with some human consideration for EC's. But that is just my guess, I don't know how they really do it, although I can't be too far off. I mean, how else could they do it?
  • gabby1116gabby1116 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    This is what was written on the Tulane website. "Recipients generally earn a 2250 or higher on the SATs or a 33 on the ACT and possess outstanding high school records and recommendations along with breadth and depth in extracurricular activities."
    Yes, but that is for the DHS. The three levels of scholarships that don't require applications have lesser requirements. I have never seen similar specifics for the Presidential, Distinguished Scholars, or Founders Awards. The first two just say
    To be eligible, the applicant must be considered by the Admission Committee to have outstanding academic qualifications
    while the Founders, which I think is the least amount, says
    Typical scholarship recipients rank in the top 10% of the class, have received high college admission test scores, have a rigorous academic program containing honors and advanced placement courses, and have an outstanding record of extracurricular activities
  • ReadyToRollReadyToRoll Posts: 1,137Registered User Senior Member
    There would, of course, be no point in applying for the DHS if you were not offered the Presidential (25K) in the acceptance letter.

I just noticed this. Why would one not want to apply for the DHS if they hadn't been offered some other scholarship?

My S had a 2060 (1450 m/v) SAT but was not offered any money. I'm assuming it's because of his GPA which was 3.24, although the mean GPA at his school is apparently 2.7 according to the profile, and I've seen schools with mean GPAs of 3.5, so I guess there is some grade deflation at the school, or grade inflation at other schools. Regardless, wouldn't people who have not receive any money at all be the ones wanting to apply for scholarships?
    No, I think you are missing the fact that the DHS is the top scholarship, full tuition for all 4 years no matter how much it goes up. It is very competitive, and awarded on the basis of merit only. So since it is better to have a full tuition scholarship rather than $25K (great as that is), the students with the best stats apply. There are only 75 offered (last year, apparently it used to be 100) out of over 1000 applicants, so students with stats that didn't warrant a Presidential offer have virtually no chance at the DHS. And while there are no official restrictions on who can apply for the DHS, Tulane does state on their web site
    Typical scholarship recipients rank in the top 5 percent of the class, have a rigorous academic program with honors and advanced placement courses, and have an outstanding record of extracurricular activities and score near the top of the range in a college admission test
    and in another part of the web site it says
    Recipients generally earn a 2250 or higher on the SATs or a 33 on the ACT and possess outstanding high school records and recommendations along with breadth and depth in extracurricular activities

I hope that clears up the confusion.
    I should have added that there is also the Community Service Scholarship. While it has academic achievement as part of the consideration, it emphasizes service very heavily, and so if your S is strong here, he should go for it. The award is lower, $5,000 - $15,000/year but hey, money is money. My guess is that it is still an unlikely prospect if Tulane didn't think his stats were strong enough for a merit scholarship at any level, but I am not the one making the awards.

I do think that if his high school is really that competitive, it is worth somehow making sure the admissions office knows that. You might even want to appeal that he didn't get $7,500/year merit, which I think is their lowest of the non-application awards. Just be sure you are right about that 2.7 average and that it is due to tough grading and not a lower performing high school. I don't mean to be insulting, it might be a private school for all I know. It is just the scientist in me sifting through alternative explanations for that average GPA.