Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tulane or UF?

bugmanseanbugmansean Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited December 2009 in Tulane University
I just received my acceptance letter from Tulane, and I am having an extremely difficult time deciding between the two. If I were to go to UF, I'd like to major in Agricultural/Horticultural Engineering, but I'm not sure exactly what I'd major in at Tulane. Most likely something in the Bioengineering/Biomed/Biology field, but I'm not sure how those programs stack up to UF. Any advice as to which I should choose?
Post edited by bugmansean on

Replies to: Tulane or UF?

• AVHS DadAVHS Dad Posts: 944Registered User Member
    Tulane has one of the top 20 rated biomed programs in the country, but you seem like you'd be settling for a major to go to the school. Did you get accepted at UF also or do you have to wait? How soon do you have to let TU know?
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Posts: 13,041Super Moderator Senior Member
    Quite honestly, bugmansean, I think you are looking at this the wrong way. I mean that in the most constructive tone, btw. But you shouldn't pick a school based on major for a few reasons. One is that there are lots of subject areas you haven't been exposed to yet. Schools set things up so that you take various distribution requirement courses your first couple of years, and you don't have to declare a major until you are a junior. In fact, 70% of so of students that declare majors before that change majors at least once, and often 2 and even 3 times. So at least allow for that possibility; you might take a course your freshman year that you find completely fascinating.

That is all a preamble to say you should choose your school based on what fits you best. By fit I mean what size school feels more comfortable, how do you feel about huge lectures vs. smaller classes, does big time sports make a difference, New Orleans vs. Gainsville, academic competitiveness, etc. etc. And of course money, if that is a factor for you and your family, would be a consideration. You will get a fine education either place, pick the one where you think you will be happier based on what you know about each. Forget majors, forget rankings, forget what other people think. WIth two good schools like these that have broad areas of study, you want to look at where you most want to live and grow as a person.
  • NewHope33NewHope33 Posts: 6,208Registered User Senior Member
    My D toured UF when she was thinking pre-Vet ... and ended up at Tulane for pre-Med. The schools are really different, the students are really different, the locations are really different. Each is appealing in its own way. I'd suggest the "Can I see myself here?" test. Good luck, whichever you decide.