College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
Please take a look at my profile and gimme any suggestion? Be free to be hard on it. Am I unrealistic?
International student transfers from a community college in CA.
College GPA: 4.0 (>90 quarter units)
I will take ACT/IELTS in January 2011 (took IELTS before, so gonna do it again)
Family contribution: 17k to 22k
Applied to UCLA Business Econ, UC Berkeley Haas, UCI Bus, UCD Econ (can't afford to go to any of these, but I wanna try to apply for Regents Scholarship)
Volunteer & Community Service:
- >150hours for an unpaid internship in an insurance agency
- 24 hours for a bond measure campaign for the college district in last november election
- 30 hours being teacher assistant for an elementary school
- 64 hours during summer 2009 in Vietnam, volunteer to help working children go back to school
Awards & Honors:
- Second highest score (26.5/30) in high school class for the national university entrance test
- featured in campus newspaper for outstanding campus involvement
- Dean's List
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Associated Student Body Vice President of Finance: maintain financial stability and allocate a million-dollar budget (about 12h/week)
- Vietnamese Student Association President (about 6h/week)
- United VSA of Northern Calif. Leadership Camp Director of Finance, developed a budget for the camp with more than 70 attendees
- member of Honors club
Good UC personal statement according to my friends who got into Berkeley (need to work on the commonapp essay though)
Can get good recs from Director of Office of College Life (also student government advisor), VSA club advisor, math professor, econ professor, or business professor (I am still debating who should I ask for recs).