Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

My chances of UCLA with 8 Withdrawals

AspiringMedStudAspiringMedStud Posts: 6Registered User New Member
edited March 2012 in UC Transfers
Hi my name is John and I have been looking through this sites discussion board for years. From tuition to classes of what should I take. So I have a question I would like to ask you all. What are my chances of going to UCLA and further my academic career through medical school with 8 Ws? I know its a lot.
But here is my transcript.

Fall 2008
Reading and Writing Cr
App Int Algebra With Lab A
General Psychology A

Spring 2009
Financial Accounting A
Reading, Reasoning, Writing II CR
Yoga-Beginning/Intermediate A
Fundamentals/Speech Communicat A

Summer 2009
Introduction to Art W
Introduction to Music A

Fall 2009
Principles of Microeconomics A
Intro to Physical Geography A
Western Civilzation Since 1600 A
Intermediate Algebra A
Guitar I A

Spring 2010
Introduction to Art A
Film Pre-Production W
Introduction to Health A
Trigonometry W

Summer 2010
Trigonometry B

Fall 2010
Intro to College Chemistry P
Western Civilization to 1600 A
Precalculus W
Precalculus Workshop W

Spring 2011
General College Chemistry I A
Critical Reading & Composition A
Precalculus A

Summer 2011
General College Chemistry II B

Fall 2011
Organic Chemistry I W
Critical Think/Write Across W
Calculus W

3.85 GPA

Spring 2012
Principles of Biology I
Critical Think/Write Across
Calculus

From 2008 to Summer of 2008 I was a film and business major. I changed majors to Biology. Then from then my stepmother has been suffering from Stage 4 breast cancer and half brother has been having issues with heart issues.

But anyways, can you tell me how bad it is to have all these Ws?
Post edited by AspiringMedStud on

Replies to: My chances of UCLA with 8 Withdrawals

• entomomentomom Posts: 23,656Registered User Senior Member
    You need to explain further, are you asking about transferring to UCLA or applying to UCLA Med school? Because for the latter, you haven't completed your prerequisite coursework.
  • AspiringMedStudAspiringMedStud Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    I still need to take my ochem and physics next year so Ill be able to transfer to UCLA. How would it look like when I apply? And in the long run with medschool. How would that look?
    UCLA undergrad*
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,674Registered User Senior Member
    I am puzzled by your schedule. Are you currently at CC? What is your class standing?
    I am still currently at a CCC. And class standing? I dont know what that is?
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,656Registered User Senior Member
    Sorry for the second move, forgot that you're only asking about a UC transfer, this board should be the best for your question.
  • uchappytrainuchappytrain Posts: 709Registered User Member
    it looks like you retook some of those W's and got A's and B's, so they deff won't matter. And I don't think a few W's really matter anyways. what does matter is you GPA and completion of pre reqs.
  • oceanpartieroceanpartier Posts: 779Registered User Member
    Well, not sure how much it affects UCLA transfer admissions, but it might be difficult explaining all those W's come time to apply for med school...
  • UCBhopeful16UCBhopeful16 Posts: 361Registered User Member
    On last years "official" decisions page I know for certain there was a person with a bunch of W's and earlier in life F's. He retook some of the classes that he did need and did good and for the F's he did his academic renewal or revival or whatever it is. Anyways he was accepted to both UCLA and UCB. Just read through the past pages and you'll find the person. Yes, it's a lot of pages but it's also fun just getting a clear picture of what worked for the year earlier.
  • UCkittychenUCkittychen Posts: 2,175Registered User Senior Member
    i have 21 W's
  • ixrixr Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    Your GPA is fine and if you complete physics/ochem/calc by the end of Spring 2013, you should have a great chance. I'd suggest applying under one of the other "biology" majors at UCLA (MIMG, MCDB, etc) since General Bio is harder to get into due to more applicants.
    The W's shouldn't matter at all, especially since you got A's/B's after taking them again. You'd have a chance to explain on the application about your family's medical problems affecting your studies as well.

By the way, do you go to Chabot Colllege? Many of those class names look VERY familiar that's why. You may have been in my ochem last semester.
  • lawlkinglawlking Posts: 1,418Registered User Senior Member
    Undergraduate schools won't care.
    Graduate schools will.
    I am actually at Merritt, although I did take my first two years at Las Poisitas. I didnt like it so I switched to Merritt college.
    How about medical school?

I mean I can explain the first 2 years... I was plain young and dumb and those arent prereq classes...

Now that I am 22, I am a little bit matured, although theres always some health isues
  • Lemaitre1Lemaitre1 Posts: 1,736Registered User Senior Member
    It appears no matter how many Ws you have it will not hurt your chances of getting into UCLA or any other UC. Medical School is a different matter, all of those Ws will be held against you by medical schools and significantly reduce your chances. Another thing that medical schools do not like to see is doing medical school prerequisites at a CC rather than a four year school.