Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Advanced English Composition

aaaa993aaaa993 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in UC Transfers
The UCLA requirements for Business Economics states:

"one advanced course in English composition"

Does that mean a 300+ level course in English or just any college English class (like English 101)?

What class would fulfill this requirement at a community college?
Post edited by aaaa993 on

Replies to: Advanced English Composition

• emprexemprex Posts: 721Registered User Member
    At my CC that would be any class that is not an entry level class (English A for ex.) UCLA specifically articulated English 1B or 1C which is the normal run of the mill English class. At my CC it goes English A->English 1A or 1B or 1C. You should definitely double check with a counselor.
  • Shannon13Shannon13 Posts: 553Registered User Member
    the numbers differ at all of the community colleges, so "101" or "300" doesn't mean much. Go to assist.org and find the class at your community college that articulates to English 1A (the usual UC basic english class) or go to the IGETC section of your community college section on assist and look up classes that fill the english requirement.

Generally speaking, if you have both english 101 and english 300, 101 is most likely remedial and 300 is the UC transferable course. But without knowing which college you are at we don't know for sure.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,773Registered User Senior Member
    Welcome to ASSIST lists "One English critical reading and writing course" for the UCLA business economics major. In the articulation sheets, several options of courses at the specified community college are listed.
  • aaaa993aaaa993 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for all the help, I should have thought about checking assist before asking.

At the school I currently attend (4-year) English 101 is just the standard freshman class required by all students. I think advanced would be a 300 level class because UCLA seems to specify between two English classes (required by all students, probably 100 level classes or above) and an advanced English class (required for Bizecon, probably 300 level and above).

Thanks again for all the replies.