Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Transferring from 4 year to CCC to UC?

aaaa993aaaa993 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in UC Transfers
I am think about transferring from the school I am currently attending (4-year out of state school) to a CCC next semester.

Would this affect my chances of getting into a UC? I am submitting my application this month for Fall 2013 enrollment.
Post edited by aaaa993 on

Replies to: Transferring from 4 year to CCC to UC?

• andrewexdandrewexd Posts: 920Registered User Member
    Yes, most UC's have unit caps for students that have attended a 4 year university.

Page 14
    http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/ETS10_TransferQA_final.pdf
  • aaaa993aaaa993 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks for the link.

So basically I just can't go over a certain amount of credits, but other than that it should have no affect on my chances of admission?
  • RUFFLZRUFFLZ Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    yep, just keep an eye on the unit cap.
    lots of people including myself have gone back to a ccc from a 4-yr(for whatever reason) and are transferring out to a 4 yr again.
  • Shannon13Shannon13 Posts: 553Registered User Member
    That doesn't sound smart. Since you're currently at a 4 year you'll be considered a 4 year transfer, not a CCC transfer. If you don't get into UC then you basically screwed yourself over.
  • HopingToXferHopingToXfer Posts: 678Registered User Member
    To be considered a CCC transfer (better chances) you would have to attend the CCC for at least a year before transferring. I believe this is true... So it's really hard to transfer because you're considered a 4 year transfer. People have done it and succeeded but always have a back up plan.
  • HockeyGiantHockeyGiant Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
    I went to a 4-year (SJSU) last year. I hated it, but I had less than 30 units from SJSU and I'm currently attending a CCC. As long as you have more than 30 units from your CCC and are enrolled FULL TIME for a whole year and the year that you're applying for a UC, then you are considered a CCC student.
  • aaaa993aaaa993 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    Shannon13, that is exactly the problem.

One reason I am thinking of going to a CCC next semester is because I am unable to take any classes related to my major. Financially it doesn't really make sense to go to a 4-year next semester when I really want to transfer anyway and I am unable to take any classes that I'm interested in.

On the other hand, if I go to a CCC and I am unable to transfer I would have to spend another year there.

And that's assuming i could even get the classes I need at a CCC because they fill up so quickly and I am not able to apply until after everyone.

Thanks for all the replies.