Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Any of you humanities majors worried about job prospects after graduation?

Replies to: Any of you humanities majors worried about job prospects after graduation?

• 2016Candles2016Candles Registered User Posts: 1,600 Senior Member
    I don't think that those of us on this thread chose our majors because we would make tons of money. I think we all chose our various majors because we have a need and want to better understand our society, where we've been, where we're going, and how can we make it a little better. I think we're a passionate group who all want to do good work in this crazy world, even if we don't always agree on how to go about doing that.
  • onehandedredonehandedred Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    Speak for yourself. I'm gonna make loadsamoney.
  • BurntCorpseBurntCorpse Registered User Posts: 435 Member
    Now I'm really worried when all the jobs I desire want specific majors.
  • CollegeDropout1CollegeDropout1 Registered User Posts: 987 Member
    @BurntCorpse Change you major to CS!
  • lindyk8lindyk8 Registered User Posts: 5,036 Senior Member
    My daughter's friend studied communications at UCSB, graduated two years ago and is now working at facebook.,
    Article in Salon today. They are referring to Ph.Ds, but the job market is also bleak for science doctorates, to be fair. Nice charts for both humanities and science:

"The Unending Horror of the Humanities Job Market, in One Chart
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/07/14/humanities_ph_d_employment_the_longstanding_horror_of_the_job_market_in.html
  • CaytonCayton Registered User Posts: 3,060 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    @lindyk8‌

The job market for almost all people with Ph.Ds is terrible, assuming that they wish to become professors, as most people with doctoral degrees do. There are way too many people with Ph.Ds pursuing too few tenure-track jobs in academia and it's been that way for a few decades now. Humanities Ph.Ds, science Ph.Ds, engineering and math Ph.Ds....no one is exempt...

But a Ph.D. would be quite useful in other areas of employment.
  • CSB111CSB111 Registered User Posts: 606 Member
    edited July 2014
    If you are getting a PhD for job security you are probably going to not even be admitted into a PhD program (it will probably show when you're applying) and if you do, whatever the person is doing, they will probably hate it.

I think why the job market sucks for PhDs is the chances of getting a teaching position is so slim (why you see Harvard/Princeton/ Yale etc PhDs teaching at no name Liberal Arts colleges) and you have pretty much shot yourself out of all entry level positions that are needed for career advancement. The only PhDs I know of that usually have decent employment are Econ, Stats and CS, but I can't really comment on that except what I've seen.

At the same time, people think doing or majoring in certain things are auto employment/high pay (CS, Business, "pre-med", "engineering"), but those people will face the same weeding out. I think the best thing to do while going to a university is to obtain knowledge in things that you wouldn't be able to really learn on your own and mix it with something practical at the same time.

If you are majoring in humanities and are passionate enough about it, you will probably work something out once you graduate. I've seen it go both ways, you could do engineering and get stuck in a 50k-60k a year job with minimal advancement at some defense firm, or have a humanities degree and end up working at Goldman Sachs. I think the gap between humanities vs the sciences is really non existent. Of course you're not going to go into EE/hardware design with an English degree etc.

Just my opinion.
    edited July 2014
    I was thinking the same thing @cayton. Who the hell gets a Ph.D unless thy're an academic or a researcher? The only job for a Ph.D English major back when I was at college was as a professor. I wish the study had been with bachelor degrees.
  • CaytonCayton Registered User Posts: 3,060 Senior Member
    @lindyk8‌

Some people with Ph.Ds have used their degrees in unorthodox ways, such as obtaining jobs in the business sector. It can happen...but you're right, it really is for people who'd like to teach at colleges and universities.

In regards to bachelors' degrees and salaries, this link should be useful:

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/majors-that-pay-you-back

Humanities majors actually do all right, all things considered. As expected, STEM majors do pretty well, but this financial success is limited to math, engineering, and physics. Surprisingly, STEM isn't the ticket to prosperity that many people think it is, and there probably isn't a shortage of STEM workers as some people would have you believe.

http://www.rit.edu/news/pdfs/CHE_Hira.pdf

This is from the Rochester Institute of Technology. The article disputes the claim that STEM workers are in short supply and the implicit assumption that a STEM degree always comes with a high salary. It's very fascinating to read, even if you may disagree with its conclusions. I recommend it for everyone.
    @Cayton Wow, you really burst my bubble! I thought that I was going to find a job with no trouble at all!
    @collegedropout1 You thought you were going to get a job with no trouble? Is that what all that stressing was about? lol
    @lindyk8 haha, yeah! I have this fear of being unemployed. I'm weird like that.
  • BernardAlBernardAl Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I like to think humanities degrees make your soul grow and make life a bit better. I always respect a humanities major for instance. Yes, there may not be much money in that area but God, do you learn from it. I say follow your passions, don't worry about money or what your parents think, do what you want to do.

Good luck with everything.

Edit: I just realized I responded a tad bit late, it was a featured thread. Nonetheless I hope you do what you love, life is entirely too short not to.
  • SustenanceSustenance Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    @BernardAl‌ It's important to note that education is an investment at the going rate, and perhaps alternative means (self studying) interesting subjects while majoring in a money maker might be of a more pragmatic look. Because while you are growing in college, you may not be when you are stuck in a low-wage job slaving away at your minimum student loan payments while you work so much that your mind becomes numb and you eventually find yourself on the corner of wall-street with a pick-it sign complaining that the system isn't fair.
This discussion has been closed.