Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UCLA Transfer FAQ's

Replies to: UCLA Transfer FAQ's

• goldencubgoldencub Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    @grimmghost @selimpride It's May 8th. I got May 1st from the scholarship's description - it might have already been extended by the time I posted the comment, I dunno.
  • luckie1367luckie1367 Registered User Posts: 2,928 Senior Member
    @uclabruin96 The summer financial aid app is just for any classes you take for summer school. Just estimate, you can always email the FA office later.
  • uclabruin96uclabruin96 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    @luckie1367 oh oh I see. Thank you so much!!!
  • honestlyfreakedhonestlyfreaked Registered User Posts: 198 Junior Member
    Hi, does anyone know if we should only include things in our application for the Alumni Scholarship that we are currently doing, or is it okay to put things in from high-school or that we stopped doing a few months ago? Thanks!
  • Happy2HelpHappy2Help Registered User Posts: 1,219 Senior Member
    Here's how to waiver out of the health insurance:
    http://www.studenthealth.ucla.edu/CustPages/Insurance.aspx
  • PsychiatristPsychiatrist Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I haven't applied or anything of that manner yet, but if you happen to have an internship or will be away for the summer, is it possible to complete paperwork and orientation long-distance before you get back?
    Orientation is an in-person event.
  • redwoolredwool Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Hi!
    I dropped three classes with W's one term/semester because the teachers said that I had little chance to get A grade, however, two class I probably would've got a B, and I would've passed the other one. Should I explain this on the UC transfer application, and if so where? Maybe in the "Please explain the GAP in education prior to your transfer term" (but I still completed one class that term/semester and got A grade), or at the end of the application?
    @redwool No! Please start your own thread.
    This is about moving in to the dorms, according to the past few years:

Payments start in July.

If you submit a CAR, you may get a response as late as late August.

You will receive assignments and your move in day/time around the end of August, or approximately 3-5 weeks before the start of the semester. You may change your move in day/time once it is assigned.

Be prepared. It is a busy and crowded day. You'll be assigned a parking lot to park in, and then you'll have to get a rolling cart (or two) and unload. If you are parked far, there will be a truck and shuttle to the dorm. In some lots, an adult must stay behind with the car. In this case, I would suggest your car be moved to another lot so you could have help unloading and setting up your room.

For those in triples, you are not assigned a specific bed. It is first come, first choice so if it's important to you, change your move in date to as early as possible.

The dorm should be clean upon arrival but if not, you should call housekeeping so they can take care of it.

You should have time to spare, to have a meal in one of the dining halls!
    Reviving this thread to add more information!
    CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE NEW BRUINS! 8-CLAP!

If you were waitlisted or not accepted, then appeal, especially if you have compelling new evidence since TAU.

Some applicants in this 2017 round tried another year or two and finally got accepted.

[b/CHECK YOUR ADMISSION CONTRACT CAREFULLY![/b] You must meet all the conditions for your acceptance to go through.

If for some reason you aren't able to meet the contract after Spring grades, figure out how you might fix (a summer class?), contact Admissions and admit to your inability to meet the criteria, mention your plan and ask for further direction. For example, if you need to add/make up a class during the summer, register for the class, send in the proof of the receipt and they will create a new contract for you. They are strict but I have seen some still being accepted after not being able to get Bs instead of Cs. Some have had to make up a course during the summer.

Summer courses: you are allowed to take summer courses. Take one, maybe two in two sessions at UCLA if you have the time. A 10 week class is compressed into 6 weeks. You can still take CCC courses too if you need to. Also check the other UCs if you live near one, and whether that course will transfer.

Transfer Bruin Day: Attend and meet each other! You might find a potential roommate (you may need to exchange SIDs) or study partners in your major. http://bruinday.ucla.edu/ Meet your fellow CC'ers. Some places to meet: Rendezvous Cafe on the hill, Student Union food court; You can take the tour and walk around with your new friends even if they are in different groups. No apartment tours available.

Want to change majors, double major or add a minor? Possible but it all depends on the one you're changing/adding to. Try making an appointment with an advisor, but they may still not want to see a potential student until the Fall. You will need to take a copy of your unofficial transcripts.

Go here for your next steps.
    https://www.admission.ucla.edu/NewBruins/NSG_Transfer.htm

Directions to "SIR" -- https://www.admission.ucla.edu/newbruins/sir.htm

Transcript deadlines -- note, send them in at least twice.
    By June 1st through Fall grades.
    By July 1st through Spring grades.
    If you attend summer classes, make sure you send in transcripts as soon as you receive your grades.

Don't depend on the CCC sending them, even if you have a receipt. Check that UCLA Admissions received them.

If you completed IGETC, make sure your CCC sends the certification in. Each CCC processes this differently.

MAKE SURE THEY RECEIVE THE TRANSCRIPTS before those dates. There have been a couple of CC'ers whose admission was rescinded because transcripts weren't received. Seriously.

Transfer student orientations are full day in person events scheduled starting July (there were about 6 sessions offered). Try to sign up for the earliest time slot at the opening of the sign up period. Plan on taking a tablet or laptop to use to sign up for classes that evening. You will be there through at least 7pm. Wear comfortable clothing and good walking shoes. Bring water. https://www.admission.ucla.edu/NewBruins/Orientation_Transfer.htm Take a copy of your unofficial transcripts with you. Yes you can sign up for 3 major classes but if you are at all concerned about the quarter system or you work, etc, start with 2 major classes and an elective.

What is a DAR? A DAR is a Degree Audit Report found in your myUCLA, which is a record of all your classes taken, at all CCs and will contain your future UCLA classes too. This report will show how each class you take, meets your major's and college's requirements. This will be ready just before your transfer orientation date.
    Here is some information about mailing for students who live in the dorms...

https://housing.ucla.edu/my-housing/moving-in/mailing-addresses-for-on-campus-housing

http://ask.housing.ucla.edu/app/answers/detail/a_id/1629/kw/mail/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5MzM1MjQyNC9zaWQvNlg1WCpiaG4=

You can use your on campus address for receiving your voting materials too.
    @Tik1127 wrote:
    Getting a parking permit was very much a struggle. My first two quarters I was granted a parking permit. My Spring quarter I did not. I had to pay to park. It was 12 dollars a day. I would come to school early to get parking. During this time, you would input your parking space number and it would be printed out. Whenever I left, and another student came to take my spot, I would give them my ticket. Pretty much everybody did this, the students were fed up with UCLA's policy. But the school was hip to it, by the following fall, it became place your license plate number down, they did that so students wouldn't give their daily parking passes for free.

My last few quarters, I was given parking parking twice but I had to appeal to get one and by some miracle they gave it to me. One of the quarter's,I had to do pay to park again. It could get expense, I only came to school twice a week, so it somewhat balanced out with paying the parking permit, which is 250. However, if you came to school 4 or 5 times a week, you're paying 50-60 dollars a week, not to mention, there is no guarantee there will be any parking when you get to school. Only a certain amount of spots are designated to pay to park. If you can't find parking on campus, you had to go find parking in Westwood Village and good luck with that.I knew plenty of people who missed class because they spent over an hour looking for parking. Some even got fed up and just wenr home out of frustration.

If UCLA has one MAJOR flaw, it is the parking services. One quarter, they even gave away too many parking permits, which meant there was not enough spaces available. It was an absolute nightmare. We paid for our permits and now there was not enough spots? It took them a few weeks to resolve the issue.