Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why does UCLA suck?

TheWhartonSchoolTheWhartonSchool Posts: 90- Junior Member
edited August 2007 in UC Transfers
Why does UCLA suck so much?
Post edited by TheWhartonSchool on

Replies to: Why does UCLA suck?

• The ApproachThe Approach Posts: 35- New Member
    its a school for people who couldnt get into Cal, Stanford, or CIT
  • Student5477Student5477 Posts: 22- New Member
    its a terrible school, it basically is on the same level as USC, nowhere near berk or stan.

UCLA has no "extordinary" majors, business is like their top and it still sucks balls to berkeley.
  • bschoolstudentbschoolstudent Posts: 6- New Member
    I know people who chose commuity colleges over ucla to try to get into berk...its a school for the mediocre.
  • LetsTransfer89LetsTransfer89 Posts: 11- New Member
    Why is everyone bashing UCLA?

I know it is nowhere near berkely but so what? its still a decent school. Sure you wont have the opportunities with the name Berkely or Stanford on your resume, but so what? Some of us aren't concerned only job prospects.

The only reason people choose ucla is the weather and social scene, that is what makes UCLA better.

If you were talking about soley academics, then yes, I agree, berkely is better.
  • dhl3dhl3 Posts: 2,666Registered User Senior Member
    I sense some aol chat session going on right now......
  • mojojojo69mojojojo69 Posts: 2,571- Senior Member
    lol, I got into cal, amherst, and cornell. I chose ucla. Big mistake!
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 Posts: 2,183- Senior Member
    I sense some aol chat session going on right now......

Brings back some memories ;)
  • TheWhartonSchoolTheWhartonSchool Posts: 90- Junior Member
    Mojo what program in cornell? UCLA is the most unprestigious of the bunch, why did u choose it. I'm into banking, thus my choice of Wharton but I was also accepted at Amherst (top notch ibanking ops).

I agree though with the majority of the posters, UCLA is mediocre. It is not even one of the top 3 universites in it's state.
  • The ApproachThe Approach Posts: 35- New Member
    LOL @ comm college over ucla. I do know people who HAVE chosen cc over UCLA tho. You have to ask yourself, is ucla really that great if people are willing to reject ucla and attent a lowly community college?
    Wharton, i initially got into CAS, but i switched it to ILR.

I am really scared of leaving my home, thats why i made my decision like that. Sometimes i feel like it was irrational, and i should have given these other (more prestigious) schools a chance.

ps. why didnt u go to amherst?
    The only reason I didn't go to Amherst was that Wharton is the #1 undergraduate bschool in the country and the career opps are the best. If I didn't get in there, I would have easily gone to Amherst, top notch school, with top notch opps.
    u dont mind amherst's isolation?
    Not at all, the benefits of the education and career opportunities outweigh the disadvantages of physical location, IMO. Besides, it is only for 2 years.

What major at amherst did u get accepted for? Econ?
  • LaxAttack09LaxAttack09 Posts: 2,183- Senior Member
    The only reason I didn't go to Amherst was that Wharton is the #1 undergraduate bschool in the country and the career opps are the best.

To add to this, if you're graduating in the next couple years, you're gonna have to come from a wharton/yale/harvard/princeton if you want a good chance at getting an IB gig. Last year one particular BB hired 150+ analysts, back in 2000 they hired 14....
    Yeah banking is really cut throat. As long as you get job as an SA Junior-senior year at a BB your most likely set, unless you screw up and don't get an offer.
This discussion has been closed.