Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

CC to UC to UC Grade Transfer

jerome1mjerome1m Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2008 in UC Transfers
As of right now I am a high school student that has taken community college courses. After this summer I am planning on going to a UC school that is low tier. So I plan on doing an intercampus UC transfer. I know that GPA is huge factor in transfers from one UC to another. I was wondering if the grades that I received in CC classes while I was in high school would affect the GPA that the UC that I apply to will look at?

I'm a little confused because two people on this board and the counselor of the low tier UC told me that CC classes do not carry over letter grades. So I know that the GPA won't carry over to the first UC that I attend. But will it affect my gpa for the UC I plan to transfer into?

Btw schools that I am looking at are UCD, UCLA, UCB, UCSD

So if anyone who has been in this position, your expertise would be greatly appreciate
Post edited by jerome1m on

Replies to: CC to UC to UC Grade Transfer

• Malishka31Malishka31 Posts: 2,971Registered User Senior Member
    the gpa does not carry over nor the grades, but when you apply, if those courses are transferable courses then your transferable GPA will include them

For example during high school , in your community college you took 2 courses that transfer over to the UC level. Lets say you took General Chemistry and Calculus 1.

When you enter your UC this fall- your gpa starts at 0. Lets say come transfer time you have a 4.0 at your UC.

But you have a 3.5 from those 2 community college courses.

So the actual GPA of your application will be 3.8-3.9 , because that is the gpa of all TRANSFERABLE courses.

When you enter the new UC- that you transfer into- you would keep just your UC gpa of 4.0- and the only reason you would keep your GPA is because you went to another UC. If you transfer to another school, like a CSU or USC, then your gpa would start over again.

When you apply to grad schools, your gpa would be calculated based on all undergraduate work.
  • jerome1mjerome1m Posts: 78Registered User Junior Member
    So I guess when transferring to another UC they don't look at UC GPA just cumulative transferrable classes. Thanks for the help Malishka
  • jfkjfk Posts: 379- Member
    If you take chem at a CC during high school so you don't need to take it in high school would it count toward your high school gpa at all?
    Yeah if it was for hs credit it should affect your gpa. It counts as a AP class and I think you also get college credits. I'm not 100% sure though, maybe someone else on this board can help you.
    So assuming you're correct, it would factor into my high school gpa (and for hs credit) AND my CC gpa correct?
    where you only receive college credit and it affects your hs gpa
    Not 100% sure but I think its like an AP class
    Whoops my two post are switched in order, my bad.
    Haha, confused me there for a bit... but yeah can anyone confirm that taking chem would give me hs credit and factor into my hs gpa while also factoring into my cc gpa?
  • bsally619bsally619 Posts: 85Registered User Junior Member
    CC gpa NEVER transfers to UC. they will take the credit but not the grade. i need to find a link. only UC grades will transfer to another UC. i took a community college class during high school. its not like an AP class though where you get an extra point. B=3 not a 4
    Right CC gpa doesnt transfer, but when you apply everything that is transferable is calculated into your application GPA.
    Can someone please confirm if taking chem in CC would give me hs credit for chem and factor into my hs gpa?
    It depends HOW YOU REGISTERED at the CC.

Go talk to your high school and to the CC. there are different programs out there, in some instances you can take a course in a CC and it doesnt count toward college but counts toward high school .
  • notsogoodnotsogood Posts: 137Registered User Junior Member
    I have a quick question. I am still enrolled in high school and suppose i took an Art class and English 101 at a local community college. Would i be able to transfer just my English credits to a UC and not my Art class? Basically do i have control over which classes i want to transfer, even if its on the same transcript?
    no, all transferable courses transfer.

If it is an art course like pottery or something, in most cases they do not transfer to UC anyways, art that transfers is like art history type of stuff usually.