Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Double Major UCLA?

Blue&GoldBlue&Gold Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2009 in UC Transfers
I was wondering if you got accepted into an unimpacted major, and then want to double major with something like poli sci is it possible?

reason i ask is i know u cant transfer into poli sci since it is one of those pre majors.

So what is the deal?
Post edited by Blue&Gold on

Replies to: Double Major UCLA?

• sarsurasarsura Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    I'd like to know this answer to this question as well....

but yea, I believe it is possible..
  • kobienesskobieness Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    i just emailed this question to UCLA b/c i wanted to add an impacted major as well. I'll tell you as soon as i get a response
  • wafflesmasherwafflesmasher Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    Double Major

if you want to double major at ucla, you have to complete all of the pre-reqs and 2 upper-div classes to be considered...

at the day of the orientation, most of the department advisers will there to answer questions; or you can simply email them.

if you don't want to follow that route, you can always minor.

UCLA Undergrad Admissions: Minors

personally, i've been rejected as a communications major and but was accepted as an anthropology major (socio-cultural). so i came to a conclusion to either double major anthro and comm studies, or minor in film...
  • durianontopdurianontop Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    does anyone know what shows on the diploma if both majors are in the same college?
    ex. Political Science & Economics
  • subzerozmansubzerozman Posts: 115Registered User Junior Member
    How about double majoring in business economics and another major? I'll email them and post back here as well.
  • Blue&GoldBlue&Gold Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    this sounds like great news.
  • UCLAriUCLAri Posts: 14,728Super Moderator Senior Member
    Double majoring basically means that you are "accepted" to the major the same way that a freshman admit is. You complete the pre-reqs, and if you meet the other requirements for the major, you're in. It's not difficult outside of a few highly impacted major.

Your best bet is to go to each department and look for the requirements (this skill will serve you very well at UCLA, by the way.)

For biz-econ:
    Transfer students in this category must meet one of the following:

1. Have a minimum 3.5 GPA in Econ 11 & 101 and a 3.3 cumulative UCLA GPA.
    2. or Have a minimum 3.3 GPA in Econ 11 & 101 and a minimum 3.5 GPA in Econ 11, 101 and all Economics courses taken by the time Econ 101 is completed (these courses must have Economics 11 as a prerequisite) and a 3.3 cumulative UCLA GPA.

For both transfer and non-transfer students to be eligible for the major, you must have completed all of the pre-major requirements with a minimum 3.0 GPA and a “C” or better in each course. Please note that your grade in the writing course is not calculated into your pre-major GPA, but you must earn a minimum grade of “C.”

Read the rest of the requirements here: UCLA Department of Economics

Double majoring, as a rule, is not "difficult." It's just a matter of doing the classes required. When you complete your two majors, it will read "with a major in _____" twice on your diploma.
  • iTransferiTransfer Posts: 857Registered User Member
    Um, does pre-bizecon mean your not actually in the program?

I got accepted to UCLA as a biochem major with 3.92 GPA and have finished all the pre-reqs for both the biochem and bizecon major. If I take econ 11 and econ 41 during my first two quarter and do well, am I eligible double major in bizecon + biochem or am I not allowed to double major in impacted majors?
  • UCLAriUCLAri Posts: 14,728Super Moderator Senior Member
    iTransfer,

"Pre-bizecon" means that you are not yet a biz-econ major, and that you still need to meet the prereqs in order to be accepted.

You may major in both impacted majors.