Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

good academic standing to get into uc?

lovelyylovelyy Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in UC Transfers
So my friend had a 2.3 and it dropped to a 1.9 after the summer so she'll be in academic probation. to apply to the uc's do you need to be in good academic standing? or is it okay if she goes back to being in good academic standing after the fall semester?
Post edited by lovelyy on

Replies to: good academic standing to get into uc?

  • aar0n0polisaar0n0polis Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    I believe you have to be in good academic standing prior to applying.
  • BacardiwavemastrBacardiwavemastr Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    If she were to try boosting her GPA through CC and JC (essentially taking a leave of absence from the UC) would that count towards the transfer unit cap?
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Posts: 649Registered User Member
    lovelyy - You cannot qualify for transfer admissions if you are not in good academic standing.

    Bacardiwavemastr - Your GPA will not be boosted through attending a CC to transfer units towards a UC. Only the credit will be transferred over, not the grade (all transfers that are non UC to UC transfers).
  • larinagalarinaga Posts: 556Registered User Member
    MakeBank24: I was disqualified from a CC a few years ago for having a 1.6. I'm doing much better at my new community college though with a 3.8. Does the good standing only apply to the CC one is currently attending?
  • JetForcegeminixJetForcegeminix Posts: 1,294Registered User Senior Member
    You have to be in good standing with all institutions that you've attended. Someone here posted that they got their admission rescinded after they sent in their transcripts because it said they were not in good standing on the transcripts.
  • larinagalarinaga Posts: 556Registered User Member
    How do you get back in good standing?
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Posts: 649Registered User Member
    larinaga - you get back in good standing at the which institution you have some sort of bad standing or academic probation in. This is done by boosting the GPA at which bad institution you have attended.
  • vintijvintij Posts: 398- Member
    ? Yea but what if you have not been to that school in years? Why would you go back and take meaningless classes just to get back in good standing?
  • larinagalarinaga Posts: 556Registered User Member
    Vintij-That's the situation I'm in. I last attended that community college in Spring 2007 and then moved to Los Angeles where I'm attending LACC and getting a 3.8 GPA.

    Can't I show them the grades from LACC and have them see the huge improvement? Would that sufficient enough for them to put me back in good academic standing? Not to mention I'd also like them to do academic renewal.
  • unknownpleasuresunknownpleasures Posts: 375Registered User Member
    Maybe this little tidbit accounts for the 1500+ students that are UC Ineligible each year at CAL and UCLA. (if you look at statfinder)

    Not sure how you can remove the bad standing since you haven't attended that school in years... but I would make a phone call tomorrow morning to UC Admissions and then that CC's offices.
  • larinagalarinaga Posts: 556Registered User Member
    Gaahh I really hope I don't have to go back to OCC to retake those classes. It would be such a hassle to move back to Orange County for 3 classes.

    Anyone else know anything?
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Posts: 649Registered User Member
    larianaga - they will not grant academic renewal for courses taken at a different institution. The thing I can think of about how you might get back into good academic standing at the previous university is by boosting your GPA at that college. So try and clear up the situation before applying because this situation of being in bad academic standing (probably academic probation I'm guessing) will render you ineligble for admissions to all UC's.
  • larinagalarinaga Posts: 556Registered User Member
    MakeBank24-Are you sure about that? This is OCC's academic renewal policy. The second condition is most important.

    These conditions are:

    1. The GPA of the coursework to be disregarded is less than 2.0.

    2. A minimum of 12 semester units has been completed at any regionally accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 2.0 in all coursework subsequent to the coursework to be disregarded.

    3. At least 12 months have elapsed since the most recent coursework to be disregarded.

    4. All coursework shall be disregarded except those courses needed as a prerequisite or to satisfy a requirement in the student’s redirected educational objective.

    5. Credit for courses from other colleges or universities can be disregarded in order to meet the grade point average requirements for OCC AA degree graduation.
  • empirescrumbleempirescrumble Posts: 282Registered User Junior Member
    Holy ****. I was on academic probation when I left SMC 7 years ago, and I haven't been back since. I also have a 3.8, and have already applied to UCSC and UCSD for winter. I actually mentioned having left SMC on academic probation in my personal statement, just so I could contrast that with my current situation, and to make the case that I'm a totally different student now. Can this really render me ineligible for ALL UC's?

    Not to hijack the thread, but now I'm really worried. What the **** do I do?? Especially now that it's been a month since I applied!
  • MakeBank24MakeBank24 Posts: 649Registered User Member
    larinaga - Well you should go ahead and call them to verify. I'm not familar with OCC.
Sign In or Register to comment.