Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Title/Name on personal statement?

NihongoyoNihongoyo Posts: 2,254Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2009 in UC Transfers
I know this sounds like, and probably is, a stupid question, but I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyways :)

So, on the UC personal statement(s), is it expected that we put a title and our name on it? Or is that just unnecessary information that they already have (minus the title) that takes up more character space?

Thanks! (again i know this sounds stupid but I want to know before I submit the app)
Post edited by Nihongoyo on

Replies to: Title/Name on personal statement?

• lakerforever24lakerforever24 Posts: 887- Member
    i think a title is a good choice, but definitively don't waste characters buy putting ur name on there. they already know ur name.....
  • guitarfrk123guitarfrk123 Posts: 486Registered User Member
    A title is always good. Especially once the reader realizes how it connects to your essay (if its a well thought out one).
  • empirescrumbleempirescrumble Posts: 282Registered User Junior Member
    A title isn't necessary. Unless it's a really, really, really good one, I'd stay away from it. It's a statement, not an essay. Wouldn't that be similar to titling your answer to a written response question on an exam...? Or is it just me?
  • USMC0311USMC0311 Posts: 369Registered User Member
    Exactly empirescrumble. You are given prompts for your personal statements. Therefore, a title would be innapropriate. Now if they told you to write an essay about yourself, your family, your life, then a title would work. However, the prompts ask specific questions and do not ask for a general essay.

Dont do it, unless you want to waste characters. When I wrote my essay, I needed every last one of them.
  • GypsyJaeGypsyJae Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    No title necessary, no name. You will need the character space! Just give good intro paragraphs that set your topic the way a title would, and remember to tie that beginning paragraph concept into the final paragraph, so your essays come full circle.

Good luck. :)