Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC Berkeley Personal Statement Prompt #1

yosuanainggolanyosuanainggolan Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited November 2009 in UC Transfers
Hi, guys

I'm an international trying to transfer into the Haas Business School from Bellevue Community College up in Seattle. Here's what I have for the "what's your intended major and why" prompt #1 for the UC admissions.

Having an accountant for a dad, I was introduced to world of money and finance from a very early age. Even so, all of my dad’s stories and lectures about finance, trade and accounting did not intrigue nor interest the young me in any way. Back then, I was yet to have any interest in the world of finance as I did not any have financial responsibility over anything except my daily allowance. However, when my father first took me down to the Jakarta Stock Exchange’s trading floor, everything changed. I was completely awed by the sight of hundreds of stock brokers sitting in front of monitors and giving out various hand signals. This huge room was basically the blood vessel that circulated the funds that were coming in and out of the country. With my own eyes, I saw real money at work. “Money makes the world go round” As cliché and shallow as it may sound, this statement is inevitably true. For Indonesia, the Jakarta Stock Exchange was the major motor in moving and powering the economy, but for the world, it was just one of the small wheels that were making the world go round.
As I was just starting my studies in finance, my dad’s accounting firm suddenly came to an abrupt failure. Indonesian coal and mineral companies, which are the majority of my dad’s clients, started to shut down one by one. The Indonesian economy was suddenly slowed down as companies were being abandoned by their investors, effectively dragging the whole country into a recession. As I learned more about the situation, I discovered that the whole chain of events leading to this global breakdown was greatly triggered by the recession in the United States of America. Being a rookie in finance, I was not able to comprehend how the whole financial catastrophe started. Eager to really understand the problem and try solving it from its very core, I planned to continue my studies in the US.
Here I am, studying in the country with the best business and finance education in the world. As time goes by, my knowledge and skills in finance have definitely increased, but so has the recession in my home country. Being in a place where I am able to hone my skills and experience the virtually infinite intricacies of the financial world, it would be fair to say that I am enjoying myself. But every time I read about what is going in Indonesia’s economy, I feel a very heavy burden on my back. I am given the privilege of receiving first class education while the rest of my countrymen are struggling just to get by. I plan to do my best here; studying and learning as much as I can from the best educators in America. Now, I want to study finance not only because it is interesting and challenging, but also because I know that this will be my tool in contributing and rebuilding my country. As a curious human being, I have the desire to learn as much as I can. As a responsible member of society, I plan to use what I have and what I will learn to contribute back to society as much as I can.

Please let me know if there is anyway I can improve it.

Cheers,
y
Post edited by yosuanainggolan on

Replies to: UC Berkeley Personal Statement Prompt #1