Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How successful is crashing a class?

MovingunitMovingunit Posts: 284- Junior Member
edited January 2010 in UC Transfers
i couldnt enroll into a math class i needed for this coming winter semester at my CC.. and i emailed a prof. and he said he would let me in, if i mentioned my email to him. but i dont really guarantee that as a spot. so do u guys know how successful crashing a class will be? its a 35 people class..please help..and when, i do crash should i print out the email he sent me to be sure?
Post edited by Movingunit on

Replies to: How successful is crashing a class?

• ernilyernily Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    if you're free during the full math class' timeslot, what's the harm in trying? your professor sounds reasonable so yeah, just print out the email and show up on the first day and remind him.
  • MovingunitMovingunit Posts: 284- Junior Member
    o ok, but yeah i am free im just trying to find out from other people of how successful they were in crashing classes..
  • ernilyernily Posts: 138Registered User Junior Member
    well, my astronomy class size capacity is 50 but ~70 people showed up and he allowed all of us to add. however, my english class' max is 35, with exactly 35 desks in the classroom, and he didn't let even let 1 person add. it depends on your prof.
  • lakerforever24lakerforever24 Posts: 887- Member
    here's what i did to try and get into one of my classes during this past summer. i needed to take a math class (35 seats max) and i knew there would be alot of petitioners on day one. so i dressed up in a suit and tie in the first day, came like 15 minutes early and told the 10-15 people or so waiting for a spot that I, the professor, would not take any petitioners into the class. 5 of the idiots that believed me left. when the real professor came he jsut did a lottery and i didn't get in, but it was a good try
  • vintijvintij Posts: 398- Member
    Crashing works out for some people. It doesn't work out for most though. Clout will get you in. For example if you know him/her from a previous class you're in, if you're a student leader in government it helps, if you email him/her before and say that the class is vital to your existence on earth.....you're in.
  • snooks86snooks86 Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    vintij, i've e-mailed both professors whose classes i need for winter intersession and neither have responded to my e-mails or phone calls.
  • Ryan2136Ryan2136 Posts: 396- Member
    with the mail..i emailed like 5 teachers and only 2 replied
  • vintijvintij Posts: 398- Member
    They probably have not checked faculty email. Many professors refuse to conform and check their email every five minutes like normal people.
    i just found out both teachers have facebook. just sent them messages.
    so messaging them ahead of time is a good thing huh? i emailed the professor the 1st of registration of classes for winter
    yeah, it's an excellent idea. it lets them you know that you're serious and boosts their ego that you want to take their class soooo bad.
    The history teacher just responded to my facebook msg and said due to the budget cuts he can't add anymore students since the class is full, but to come and sit in for the first few days cause people do drop.
    hmm then i wonder why that teacher said it differently, maybe different school policy..but im not sure what budget cuts got to do with adding more students..i mean its not like we dont pay to get into a class or something? and we usually buy all supplies needed so i dont know
    i don't know. he said he had instructions from the dean. the class' enrollment limit is 55 and it has 57 now.
    do u mind telling what college you go to? thats absurd