Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Having Problems Filling Out FAFSA

123UCPlease123UCPlease Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2010 in UC Transfers
I filled out everything up until my parents tax info and when I clicked next I got this message, "FAFSA on the Web has encountered an error. This could be due to normal maintenance or because you selected a 2010-2011 option that is not yet available. 2010-2011 options will be available beginning on January 1, 2010.We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

Is anyone else having this problem too?

Shouldn't the 2010-2011 form be available because it's the 3rd of January?
Post edited by 123UCPlease on

Replies to: Having Problems Filling Out FAFSA

• CalBearGuyCalBearGuy Posts: 1,199Registered User Senior Member
    its prolly the first part "normal maintenance" try again later.
  • MovingunitMovingunit Posts: 284- Junior Member
    is it better to fill out the fasfa now than in a few weeks? i have no idea how much money my parents made in 2009 so im a little confused, whether i should just do it now or later
  • CalBearGuyCalBearGuy Posts: 1,199Registered User Senior Member
    you can start now, u dont have to finish it all at once, and u can just skip the part about ur parents income, and have them fill it out later, just fill out all the general info.
    alright thanks again calbearguy..i started the fasfa application and i got this error as well..

FAFSA on the Web has encountered an error. This could be due to normal maintenance or because you selected a 2010-2011 option that is not yet available. 2010-2011 options will be available beginning on January 1, 2010. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

i guess ill try it later
  • steelersngatorssteelersngators Posts: 722Registered User Member
    "I filled out everything up until my parents tax info and when I clicked next I got this message, "FAFSA on the Web has encountered an error. This could be due to normal maintenance or because you selected a 2010-2011 option that is not yet available. 2010-2011 options will be available beginning on January 1, 2010.We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

I did not get this error when I started my application on Jan 1 but I got it atleast 5 times today.
    guess its best to try again tomorrow
  • snooks86snooks86 Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    i couldn't even put any info in before getting this message
  • djayymdjayym Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    I'm getting the same message too. The strange thing is, sometimes it shows and sometimes it doesn't. There are times when I can't access it all, and other times I can access it until a certain point. What do I do if my deadline is really really really soon?!
    What deadline djay?? You have till March 2nd to fill it out and still get most money.
    what deadline day???
  • ColoradoDadColoradoDad Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I started the application on Saturday and everything was working fine. Tried to update it yesterday and ran into the problems you describe. Figured it was the "maintenance window" or general overload that was messing things up. Having the same issues today. I'll try to find a place on the site to report it.
  • ColoradoDadColoradoDad Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Funny - I went to Contact Us on the FAFSA site and filled out the form for a Bug Report. When I clicked on Submit Request, I got the error page that begins...."FAFSA on the Web has encountered an error. This could be due to normal maintenance or because you selected a 2010-2011 option that is not yet available. 2010-2011 options will be available beginning on January 1, 2010. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

I think they have some app issues going on...
  • djayymdjayym Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    OOPS okay. I think the January 2nd/5th deadline was for Cornell's personal form and the CSS. I think the FAFSA comes later, then. Haha sorry, it's just that whenever I panic, I read things...incorrectly or something.
    called the hotline and they said they're fixing the site and to try back in an hour or two.
    it's working now. just submitted mine.