Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Choosing your UC: Weighing Pros and Cons

michellaneousmichellaneous Posts: 126Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2010 in UC Transfers
So, I have to choose between Davis & Cal, so I decided to make a pros and cons list. If you guys are deciding between two schools as well, post yours so maybe we can see things we didn't think of, or just help other people trying to decide which school to go to.

I was/am so tempted by Berkeley, but was really surprised I couldn't think of many pros besides its prestige...I know that the cons I listed for Berkeley are really just the opposite of the pros for Davis, but w/e.

UC Berkeley Pros:
- prestige
- has been my dream school for a very, very long time

UC Berkeley Cons:
- less financial aid
- higher cost of living
- less preferred classes for my major
- don’t really like study abroad options
- deflated GPA
- hills (I have a bad leg, so hills are a potential problem)

UC Davis Pros:
- quarter system
- lower cost of living (will be living w/uncle)
- more financial aid
- preferred classes for my major
- preferred study abroad options
- easier to get a high GPA --> grad school
- totally flat campus

UC Davis Cons:
- not as prestigious
- mascot (actually, I would love to be an Aggie, but I just want an “aggie” to be something tangible)
- really, really, really HOT during the summer
- my mother will never let me live it down if I turn down Cal (she’s a crazy Filipina woman…but then again, she never lets me live anything else down, so I guess there’s no difference)
Post edited by michellaneous on

Replies to: Choosing your UC: Weighing Pros and Cons

• EssenarEssenar Posts: 321Registered User Member
    My girlfriend transferred out of Berkeley after 2 years and is graduating from Davis. She loves it. No really, she LOVES Davis. She doesn't wanna work in San Diego but she's considering it for me.

I think Berkeley is a name, and how much you really enjoy school depends on other things. But for what it's worth, I've met people from Berkeley who either left or are still attending and their social experience is "so-so", whereas everyone I've met from Davis loves that school.

I'm sad they rejected me, more sad than I am that Berkeley rejected me, because I've heard great things about the social environment there and the campus is beautiful. (And of course, I want to be with my girlfriend)
  • CantabilenApathyCantabilenApathy Posts: 304Registered User Member
    what is your major? only the hard sciences and lower division weeder classes are notorious for "grade inflation."

Also, it's sounds as if you'd be happy at Davis, but if Berkeley is still your dream school than you should go there. You will regret it if you don't.

BTW- I'm a 2011 transfer, and I feel the same way. Davis probably "fits" me better and on paper looks like the better match, but I'm set on Berkeley and I know I'd spend my time at Davis thinking "what if?"
  • michellaneousmichellaneous Posts: 126Registered User Junior Member
    @essenar: why not try appealing?

@cantabilenapathy: I'm a French major, so I guess the grade inflation wouldn't apply to me, but the more I think about it, the more settled I become in going to Davis for my undergrad and then trying Berkeley for grad school.
  • cooldude6cooldude6 Posts: 514Registered User Member
    I am in the exact same situation. I have narrowed it down to Berkeley or Davis. Let me weigh in a little bit.

UC Berkeley Pros:
    - prestige
    - much more interesting classes

UC Berkeley Cons:
    - VERY tough to get into classes
    - a lot of pressure

UC Davis Pros:
    - I won't be as worried about doing well there
    - Way more social

UC Davis Cons:
    - Only well known on the west coast
  • flwrgrlflwrgrl Posts: 203Registered User Junior Member
    So if we are trying to find jobs in California. . .will both schools be a ticket through the door? We will be competing with CSUs, AAs, vocational schools, etc. Just the other day I gave out my UC Davis email and guess what? They were really impressed. We think a lot about it because as UC students we probably think too much about a lot of things. I am planning on going to Davis for undergrad and Berkeley for grad school. . .Im worried though if I reject them now will they reject me later? lol
    I really don't plan on working out-of-state so I am not too worried about that.