Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Can I get into a good school with a 3.8 GPA? :/

madddielovemadddielove Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2010 in UC Transfers
I just graduated from a competitive middle college high school in CA (which means I attended high school / community college concurrently) and I was able to get 45 units in high school alone. I also received my AA in Social Science, so right now I'm just working to get my 60+ units finished and possibly another AA, in Sociology.

The thing is, I feel like I'm not going to get accepted into any of the schools I want to go to because I feel like my 3.8 GPA is kind of low (I have math anxiety, so I got a C+ in a remedial math class that is not factored in my GPA, and a B in my Stats class. I also got a B in a Sociology class, ugh.) I'm hoping my EC's will factor that out -- I am the Associate Student Government's Executive Officer of Marketing & Information, the Newspaper's editor-in-chief, Intern for a Gubernatorial candidate / Party HQ, active volunteer, Honors society, Christian camp counselor/coordinator for 5 years, have a substantive position on campus, marathon runner -- but even then I still feel inadequate. I'm striving for straight A's in the fall so I can hopefully bring it up to a 3.9.

What are my chances of getting into a good school with a 3.8 GPA? My intended major of study is Communications (I know, I just had to pick a competitive one!) with a possible double major/minor in Sociology. My first choice is Pepperdine, but I have UCLA, UCSD, UCSB, and USC as my other options.
Post edited by madddielove on

Replies to: Can I get into a good school with a 3.8 GPA? :/

• AndrizzleAndrizzle Posts: 303Registered User Junior Member
    i'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

but you have absolutely NO CHANCE of getting into the above said schools with such a mediocre gpa of 3.8-3.9 and impres- ... err i mean horrid extracurriculars.

NO. CHANCE.
  • detailmoredetailmore Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    You should spend at least 2 or 3 years to raise your GPA to a minimum of 3.95 before you waste your time and money on those schools listed above.

no really... you have a great chance of getting in all those schools. >90% each.
  • madddielovemadddielove Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    LOL, I really have no idea if you guys are being sarcastic...and if you're not, that would make me very sad. :(
  • knightofwolfknightofwolf Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    You're pretty much in at UCSD/UCSB
    Good chance at getting in USC
    Not sure about Pepperdine.

Doubtful for UCLA, Comm is probably the toughest major to get into. Even with a 3.9, you're still below the avg. Do TAP if your CC offers it. gl
  • detailmoredetailmore Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    The GPA you mentioned is out of 4, correct?
    3.8 is very high. You have excellent EC's. You can get in to any of those schools you listed.
    Edit: yeah UCLA is hard but you still have a very good shot.
    That's awesome, it's making me feel a lot less anxious. :)
    @knight If I have a good chance at USC, then I should be pretty much in at Pepperdine... I was wait-listed when I applied as a freshman but only because one of my teachers turned in their recommendation form late :/

@detail: Thanks!

Has anyone heard of people who've gotten accepted to UCLA Comms with a 3.8?
  • CaLibertarianCaLibertarian Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    See based on your stats if I didn't know better (And you didn't say UCLA Comm...), I would say you're **** because you're pretty much in all of those schools haha xD.

The only one I can't say with certainty is UCLA... But even then, your XC's sound awesome so you have a pretty good chance! Best of luck.

PS
    Don't forget UC's accept only 70 transfer units, so choose wisely so you don't waste too much of your time.
    @Cal: haha definitely not ****... I just saw all my classmates in high school who had spectacular EC's and GPA's who expected to get into good schools like UCLA / USC and not getting into any except like San Diego State or Chico State. It's scary, and I just want the best for my future.
  • hellostranger57hellostranger57 Posts: 473Registered User Member
    It's quite a reach for UCLA. I haven't heard of anyone getting in Communication Studies in UCLA with a 3.8. Some that have 4.0's and excellent ECs have even gotten rejected =/ it's really tough but it's worth a try!

UCSB is easy. UCSD, make sure you do TAG so you'll be in for sure! You have a decent shot at USC. Just make sure to really sell yourself on your application. I'm an incoming transfer (communications major) this fall at USC so if you need any help let me know!:)
  • SMCguySMCguy Posts: 1,352Registered User Senior Member
    UCB (Media studies) - Good chance
    UCLA - Rejected with anything below a 3.9, I suggest you apply to Soc or Anthro
    UCSD, UCSB - Accepted
    USC - Good chance
  • transferboundtransferbound Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    i've never heard of a "middle college high school," but if that's a 3.8 at a community college, i agree with SMCguy about the acceptances. also add Pepperdine to the acceptances. definitely dont apply as a communications major at UCLA if you want to get in
  • gwu_girlgwu_girl Posts: 474Registered User Member
    I would say in at Pepperdine, UCSB and UCSD.

USC and UCLA are tough calls because their com departments are so competitive, but you have great chances.
  • dbroncos23dbroncos23 Posts: 455- Member
    I hope the previous posters who said it was impossible were being sarcastic. A 3.8 GPA out of 4 (which I am assuming) is respectable. It might because you're applying to an impacted major but I still see you getting into some of the schools you mentioned. To be honest this is why "Chance Me Threads" are pointless. No one really knows. There's no such thing a guaranteed admission to any school. That's why you apply and see for yourself.
  • jyi90jyi90 Posts: 960Registered User Member
    I read the title and I was like, are you ****ing serious.... Infer something from my response. No you need a 4.5 obviously, unweighted.
  • corinnejaycorinnejay Posts: 409Registered User Member
    I was in middle college, got a 3.7-3.8 (somewhere in that range) the only school I got rejected to was UCLA. Will be attending UC Berkeley. So yes, you can get into a good school.