Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

genetics in UK ?

DANGERBPDANGERBP Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in United Kingdom
ide love to know more about good colleges with good fees that i can apply to for genetics ..

erm.. ide apreciate it if you guys could gimme more information bout genetics ..

thanks in advance ~
Post edited by DANGERBP on

Replies to: genetics in UK ?

• DANGERBPDANGERBP Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    anyone ?
    desprate need !!
  • TheRealKEVPTheRealKEVP Posts: 986- Member
    Dude, you are really going to need to improve your spelling and grammar if you want to be admitted to a British college or uni.

What would you consider "good fees"? Fees are going to be very high if you are not a citizen of a European Union country.

You need to look at more than fees as well. What qualifications do you have--i.e. how selective a college or uni could you actually get into?

And why on earth are you so desperate? How can this be a crisis?

KEVP
  • boomtingboomting Posts: 689Registered User Member
    Six minutes is not going to be enough time to get a useful reply, so there's no point bumping it after that period of time.

With regards to the actual question, then
    a) fees are always going to be expensive if you are from outside the EU, especially if you want to do a science subject. If you find a university that is radically cheaper than the others, it's probably because it's a crap university.
    b) you don't say if this is undergrad or postgrad. If it's undergrad, then try UCAS - Home and click on the course search function. If it's postgrad, then start googling.
    c) please improve your English!
    @THEREALKEVP
    haha .. thanks for your help ..

well dude do u no the average range of fees ?
    ermm .. im in my a2 level .. did 7 o levels 5 A* , 1 A , n 1 B
    As 4 subjects n for a2 im doin 3 .. ? m not sure if it would be enough :S
    where can i look up the requirements of universities over there man ?

heh .. it just is to me !
    Have a look on the websites of relevant unis to find out about both fees and entrance requirements.

For instance, Manchester wants between AAA and ABB at A Level, and charges £16,500 per year for international students.
    Genetics (3 Years) [BSc] (The University of Manchester)
    @boomting

erm.. yeah thats what i should do ..

oh that seems good ..
    16.5 plus price of livin.. well all in all it would reach a minium of 25k .. fair enough !
    thanks man ..
    Okay, a little more research tells me that there are still a few countries in the Commonwealth that still use O-levels. They are no longer used in the UK.

Therefore, you must be from a Commonwealth country other than the UK.

Why the four asterisks don't people just TELL US what country they are from instead of making us guess?

Realistically, you are going to need to pass three A-levels to get into any college or uni in the UK. The more selective schools will ask for higher grades on those A-levels. If you are planning to study Genetics, you should probably have an A-level in a related field, Biology I would guess.

And, yes, you need to get more respect for the language of the country you are planning to move to. id est, ENGLISH.
    @KEVP
    lol =p u shouldve researched be4 judgin my age =p

why do you care ? =p

yup am doin bio math physics/chemistry ..
    lol n thanks ..

i do give more than repect to the language ..
    its just me bein perfect in it .. is wat i care less bout !

bbye old dude .. n thanks again =p
    Dangerbp,

If you really want to go to college or uni in the UK, you should strive to be perfect in the English language. You certainly need to do a heck of a lot better than you have been here. Maybe you really can't see how bad your English is, trust me--it is BAD. And if you don't care about that, you will NOT get into college or uni in the UK.

If none of us cared, none of us would take the time to answer your questions.

KEVP
    @KEVP
    ugh man -.- well yeah i do believe it sux .. thanks =p
    well heh.. the reason im not caring .. is due to the fact that i tried b4 =-p

heh .. i said why do you care about the country i belong to =p
    If you try and write a personal statement in that sort of English, you will be rejected. If you write an essay with that sort of English, then you will fail. So, I suggest you try again. As KEVP says, your English is bad and won't be tolerated by a university.

Sometimes knowing what country you come from affects the advice that we are able to give you. If we know more details, we can give better advice.
  • OccamsChainsaw95OccamsChainsaw95 Posts: 66Registered User Junior Member
    Firstly, in regards to the posts about the OPs English skills, do you really think an advisor/parent would let him send off an application like that? Hence, I think those comments are probably redundant. On the other hand, get your English skills sorted OP because I struggled to read half of your post. If you want people to help then try not to make it difficult to do so.

Okay... I am from the UK so have a pretty good overview of Universities here - especially since I considered genetics.
    Your grades are going to be a big factor so disclosing those would help me help you a little more.
    You said you had 4 AS grades and you are now doing 3 A2s. That is very normal here so I don't see that being a problem.

Apart from the obvious Universities like Oxbridge and Imperial there are a few very good Universities for genetics. One of which is Newcastle. They are world leaders in stem cell research.
    Another great University to consider is Leicester. Genetic fingerprinting was developed here and it remains a strong leader in genetic research.

Other Universities include Cardiff and Sheffield but you can find out more about those on ucas.com

If you have further questions about anything in the UK system, perhaps it would be wise to sign up (for free) to 'the student room.com' (remove spaces) which is basically the UK version of collegeconfidential!
    ok ! thanks ppl ..
    @occamschainsae ..
    yes exactly ..
    thanks .. now all i have to do is think of how to fix my english ..
    its somehow shameful .. but i have a long story for that !

so you studied genetics man ?

thanks again sir !