Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

hanging mirror in dorm

mrmilburnmrmilburn Posts: 18Registered User New Member
edited June 2012 in University of Alabama
We would like to hang a full length mirror on the back of the closet door in tutwiler, but usually that would be done with a drill and screws, which obviously we can't do! How do all the girls do that? Will command strips hold a mirror up?
Post edited by mrmilburn on

Replies to: hanging mirror in dorm

• scmom12scmom12 Posts: 1,368Registered User Senior Member
    Lightweight mirrors can be hung with command strip picture hangers. That's what D2 did last year.
  • Mesquite_girl24Mesquite_girl24 Posts: 977Registered User Member
    Some mirrors also have an overdoor hanging hook that you can use. But command strips also should work, either two or three.
  • mombama2012mombama2012 Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I just bought an over-the-door full-length mirror at Ross yesterday for $9.99. The over-the-door hooks are included. I bought a white one but they had pink, purple, orange, black and white.
  • mrmilburnmrmilburn Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Thanks everyone! We have already purchased the mirror, I do not see any hooks on the back but we will try the command strips.
  • MikeWozowskiMikeWozowski Posts: 3,240Registered User Senior Member
    over the door hooks is the norm. command strips should work. just use enough for the weight.

i like the command strip idea best. it looks neater and won't flop around as much.
  • vlinesvlines Posts: 3,579Registered User Senior Member
    if you use over the door hooks, consider a command strip or two at the bottom to prevent the "flopping" of the mirror. Also try to find the non-glass mirrors like Ikea has- they are light weight and don't break.
    yes, that works too vlines. : )
  • robotbldmomrobotbldmom Posts: 2,051Registered User Senior Member
    At least in Ridgecrest South. the over the door hooks will prevent the door from closing smoothly. Target will have a million of the light weight mirrors available for student night shopping (all colors) (adhesive strips included).
    my daughter had an over the door mirror on her closet door in RCS and it closed just fine. i suppose this could vary from room to room.
    Oh sorry, I meant the room door. The closet doors were used for over the door pocket organizers. One for each door was very handy.
    she had some other over the door thing on her room door.

so none of our over the door items interfered with doors closing, but i am sure it does sometimes. : )
    ^^^I guess it depends on how tight the door is inside the door jamb, but I think that it is best not to hang anything over the door (exit) so as not to interfere with entrance/exit or complete locking of the door (IMO).
  • beth's mombeth's mom Posts: 2,256Registered User Senior Member
    This is probably a dumb question, but I've never had sliding doors. I am assuming that you can't use over the door hangers on the sliding closet doors that the honors dorms other than RCS have. Correct?
    correct....
  • dirkslam41dirkslam41 Posts: 732Registered User Member
    Yeah I see your point, and touche. But never give up, alright?

Sent from my Desire HD using CC