Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UA generous with AP/IB/CLEP credit - LINK...also link for Undergrad Catalog

mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,845Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2009 in University of Alabama
To find out what AP/IB/CLEP Credit you'll get... see University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2008-10 (Scroll down to see IB and CLEP credit, also)

UA is very generous with these credits. These credits can be directly applied to Core Curriculum (aka General Ed classes). I don't know of many colleges that are as generous with these credits AND will let you apply the credits to required classes. Typically, other schools give less credits, require higher scores, and/or will only let these credits let you enroll in a higher level class.

For example...It is not unusual for a UA student who has credit from 7 AP classes to enter UA with 45 credit hours - which is the same as being a "second-semester sophomore."

If you'll have many these credits, it may be easy for you to have a double major. If so, you might qualify for a scholarship award from either department if you declare both majors when applying (be sure to put the correct majors on your scholarship app, too).
For instance, an incoming freshmen with a Presidential, NMF, or other scholarship, who declares Engineering as his majorn , might also get an additional $2500 per year from the Engineering dept. :)

Of course, by entering as a sophomore from these credits also allows many students to graduate a year early, a nice savings, or to pursue a Masters Degree at the same time.

If you forgot to do this, correct the situation with Student Affairs office ASAP.

BTW...it doesn't matter which AP English class you take, if you get a 4 or 5 in either one, then you get 6 English Comp credits. If you get a 3 in one, and a 3 in the other, then you also get 6 credits. Getting 6 English Comp credits fulfills the freshman English requirement.

To see the online Undergraduate Catalog for those who enter UA between 2008-2010 University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2008-10
Post edited by mom2collegekids on

Replies to: UA generous with AP/IB/CLEP credit - LINK...also link for Undergrad Catalog

• AL34AL34 Posts: 1,968Registered User Senior Member
    Here's a thought -
    If the Presidential Scholarship (and Engineering Scholarship) is for four years, and student enters as a sophomore (or whatever) due to AP credits and thus finishes in three years, can they apply the remaining year's credit tuition for Master's?
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Posts: 3,500Registered User Senior Member
    In short, the tuition scholarships (including NMF) cannot be used for graduate study. The exception is if the student has not yet received their bachelors degree and retain undergraduate status (and are thus ineligible for graduate scholarships and being teaching assistants. Bama calls this program University Scholars and it is only available in select majors. A basic overview is at http://graduate.ua.edu/info/scholarsprog.pdf and more details can be found by contacting the individual departments. It is up to the individual department to recommend the student into the program though. If I remember correctly, mom2collegekids's DS1 was offered admission into this and I myself will be starting it next fall. From what I've seen in my major (Econ/Finance), this is a very popular program and if the student is NMF or a Presidential Scholar, they should qualify for the program.
  • AL34AL34 Posts: 1,968Registered User Senior Member
    ^ great info - thanks!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,845Registered User Senior Member
    The tuition scholarship can be used for University Scholars program. In that case, masters level classes will be paid for.

You don't have to wait to be "invited," any "A student" can request to be put in the program.
  • MikeWozowskiMikeWozowski Posts: 3,240Registered User Senior Member
    mom - do you know how much credit is granted for calc ab? 3? 4?

and i didn't see GOV listed. is gov not required? or what?

if a student comes in with 18 or so hours, then they could finish in four years while also taking a semester off for study abroad or an internship. yay!
    ^^^

AP Cal AB

Calculus AB 3 MATH 125 4 MA

To get 3 credits of Calculus (taking the place of Cal I), a student must score a 4 or higher.

AP Gov (2nd item listed on chart) 3 Poly Sci credits for a AP score of 3+

American Gov. and Politics 3 PSC 101 3 SB

Mike...what AP classes has your son taken? If he's taken several AP classes, he'll probably enter with more than 18 credits. My boys each took 7 AP classes, and both entered UA with 41 credits. AP Bio and AP Chem are very generous - 8 credits each! And the AP histories are 6 credits each! :)
    hey mom - i have a DD. : )

she has

WHAP - 6 credits
    APUSH - DUAL - 6 credits
    ENGLISH - DUAL - 6 credits
    GOV - DUAL - 3 credits
    CALC - AP - 4 credits (this year)
    ECON (may not take AP)

total - 21 for sure + 7 maybes

she took chem ap but didnt feel like she would do well on the ap test, so she didn't take it.

of course, all this may turn out to be for naught depending on the ACT score. : /
    oops ^^^ And, I know that!!! How does she think she did on the ACT?
    bump...bump...bump
  • momof3boyzmomof3boyz Posts: 881Registered User Member
    My DS is NMF and also in CBH. He took advantage of AP in HS completing 8 exams. He is a math major and chose NOT to take the AP credit for Calc and took Honors Calc his first year at UA. He is only in his second year at UA and will be three credits shy of Senior status at the end of this semester. The CBH Program is a four year program. He is already working with his professors and the director of CBH to create a plan to maximize his time at UA.

Hands down, UA is attracting some of the top scholars from across this nation. This is clearly a win-win situation for everyone. I really need to say win-win-win! The third "win" is for us parents, the economic impact has certainly been a bless for us!
    oops, i missed your reply.

she is always reluctant to say how she thinks she has done. something about cursing yourself! haha

so, we find out tuesday. oh, and she takes the SAT on saturday, too.

we are going to an invite only thing at a college. so she is going to have to go take the SAT standby at the college. do you have any idea if that usually works out (they have test booklets and space for walk ins)?

so, we will go to the college (3 hours away) and they have a dinner/meeting on friday. she will go take the sat on sat. morning and then go to another meeting thing after the sat. just going to the weekend gives you 2000 scholarship (one time, not per year) and then they award some faculty scholarships (full) to students from the weekend. hey, i guess it is worth a try.

so, even though she will still have the SAT grade to come in, alabama may be off the table come tuesday. she needs to raise SAT by 120 points for the alabama cutoff, and i am not sure that will happen.

some of my DD's college credits are gov. and econ. does alabama not require gov and econ? same with history. she has us history and world history, but i am not sure that both of those are required either.
    >>>
    Hands down, UA is attracting some of the top scholars from across this nation. This is clearly a win-win situation for everyone. I really need to say win-win-win! The third "win" is for us parents, the economic impact has certainly been a bless for us!
    <<<

I second that!
    >>>>>
    so, we find out tuesday. oh, and she takes the SAT on saturday, too.

we are going to an invite only thing at a college. so she is going to have to go take the SAT standby at the college. do you have any idea if that usually works out (they have test booklets and space for walk ins)?

..........so, even though she will still have the SAT grade to come in, alabama may be off the table come tuesday. she needs to raise SAT by 120 points for the alabama cutoff, and i am not sure that will happen.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well, let's not give up hope :) She may pull it off with the SAT. :)

I'm not sure how the whole "Stand by" situation works for taking the SAT. I've only heard "bits and pieces" (hopefully, someone can chime in here who knows)

I imagine there's a better chance of getting a seat/booklet if you arrive early. I'm guessing it's "first come, first serve" after they see how many registered kids don't show up. And, maybe they are prepared for a certain number of walk-ins in any case. (I know that some kids will have signed up for Nov's test, while waiting for Oct's result, then if they're happy with Oct's result, they don't show up for the Nov test).

As for the AP Credit and UA's req'ts....

>>>>>>>>>>
    some of my DD's college credits are gov. and econ. does alabama not require gov and econ? same with history. she has us history and world history, but i am not sure that both of those are required either.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My kids used their AP US history credits and their AP Gov credits...

When you look at this page... University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2008-10

Look at the far right column. That's the "core designation"

for instance...for AP US History - you get 6 credits of HI designation.

Now, look at core curriculum (engineering has different core requirements)
    University of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2008-10

5. 12 semester hours of courses approved for the history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.

So, a kid with 6 hours credit from AP US History has 6 of the above 12 required credits AND has the 6 semester hour "sequence" completed.

Now, a student who also has AP World History credit would have an additional 6 HI credits which would "finish" that entire requirement (An SB is not required for #5 - although AP Econ is an SB and could be used for that).

Now, for AP Gov & Politics....that gives you 3 SB credits.

This is also a good link to keep on hand....The Office of The University Registrar - The University of Alabama
    click on the various red tabs to get course suggestions to fulfill various core requirements.

What always confused me a bit was the Humanities req't (see that red tab from above link).

12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.

My DS1 did 3 credits for FA in University Honors Program (the Arts and Parody class), 3 units in British Lit, and 6 units in Philosophy (Critical Thinking and Into to Phl)

Both my boys have extra history credits from AP, but that isn't a problem. UA still counts them towards a student's total credits. So, for registration purposes, a kid moves to sophomore, junior, and senior levels more quickly. :)

A student can also get an on-campus tutoring job more quickly this way, too. I think a student has to have 53 credits to become a tutor (with good grades, of course). So, both sons met (or will meet) that req't after one semester at UA.
  • DnerdDnerd Posts: 1,105Registered User Senior Member
    Wow, their IB credits suck.. They only offer a few and they have to be 5s (where 4s are passing) on higher level exams. >_<
    Dnerd,

I hope you got some 5's on your IB exams, so that you'll get some credit. What IB classes did you take and what scores did you receive? Do you still have more to take?

I don't know much about IB, but I've noticed that more schools are not giving credit for AP scores of 3, too (which is passing for AP). I was told that it's because those kids were having too hard of time skipping into the next level's class.

I wonder if the same is going on for IB credit (assuming that an IB 4 is similar to an AP 3). Do you know what other schools are giving?

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The University of Alabama recognizes International Baccalaureate credit with a grade of 5, 6, or 7 on the higher-level examinations (HL).

Examination Minimum Score UA Course Equivalent Credit Core Designation
    Art, Studio 5 ART 110, ART 210 3, 3 —
    Art, General—
    portfolio 5 ART 130, ART 131 3, 3 —
    Biology (SL) 5 BSC 114:115,
    BSC 116:117 4, 4 N
    General Chemistry 5 CH 101 and CH 102 8 N
    Computing Studies 5 CS 114, CS 116 3, 1 —
    Economics 5 EC 110, EC 111 6 SB
    English 5 EN 101 and EN 102 6 FC
    Appropriate World History Exam (HL/SL) 5 HY 101 3 HI
    Appropriate World History Exam (HL/SL) 5 HY 102 3 HI