Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

"Preferred Name" on application

siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2010 in University of Alabama
I just started the application today, and I was wondering what they meant by "Preferred Name"...should I put just my first name, my first and last name, or my whole name inclu. middle name? Or do they want some sort of nickname? Thank you!
Post edited by siglio21 on

Replies to: "Preferred Name" on application

• feenotypefeenotype Posts: 2,276Registered User Senior Member
    The name you go by most of the time. Not necessarily a nickname, but if for example you go by your middle name instead of your first name, or if your name is William but you go by Billy.
  • siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    so, no last name? ok cool...thanks
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,780Registered User Senior Member
    You should also put your last name.

For instance. If your name is Robert Michael White, Jr, but you typically go by "Mike White," then...put Mike White.
  • siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    ok thank you :)
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Posts: 3,485Registered User Senior Member
    In my experience, people will not put a last name in the "Preferred Name" section. UA will use your full name for your address, but will use your preferred name inside letters and such. If your name does have a suffix that you don't use, you don't really need to even put it on your application.