Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

WiFi in the dorms

yuenmeiyuenmei Posts: 19Registered User New Member
I've heard that the wifi is pretty bad in dorm rooms. Would bring an airport express for myself to plug it into the ethernet jack help?
Post edited by yuenmei on

Replies to: WiFi in the dorms

• CaliciousCalicious Posts: 558Registered User Member
    Wifi is not that bad, but using an ethernet jack is 100x better so bring one. Wifi is bearable when you are studying in the lounge while ethernet is a MUST when you are using your laptop within your room.
  • yuenmeiyuenmei Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    Is bringing my own router a good option?
  • AnonymouskiddoAnonymouskiddo Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    Routers are good options too just make sure its security protected so you don't have people stealing your wifi. When I first moved into my dorm in September the WiFi was atrocious and only worked in common areas, but within a few months they redid the WiFi and it now works very well in all of the rooms.

What I would recommend is to for sure bring an ethernet cord, and then if you move in to the dorms and realize you don't have WiFi in your room buy a router for convenience.
    Ahhhh. Okay that makes sense. What's the wifi speed like? And which dorm are you in? So we have to bring our own Ethernet cables?
  • energizeenergize Posts: 961Registered User Member
    I live in Foothill, and we have no WiFi in my suite. Ethernet cords are essential, and yes, you need to bring your own. We use a router in our room, and the WiFi speeds are a bit slower than the ethernet speeds, but not by much.
    Does anyone know anything about the units?
  • failure622failure622 Posts: 921Registered User Member
    Unit 1 (Christian) got WiFi pretty recently, but you're still going to want an ethernet cord for your room, it's much more reliable and it'll give you a faster connection.
  • IsurusIsurus Posts: 328Registered User Junior Member
    I'm in Unit 3, and we have WiFi. It's actually very convenient. The one problem I would say is that you have to log in every once in a while.

... Or you could bring a router, which helps the speeds and avoids the logging-in annoyance. But otherwise the WiFi isn't bad at all.