Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC Berkeley College of Engineering Acceptance Rate?

avatar102329avatar102329 Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
Hi, I'm wondering what the acceptance rate is for the Berkeley College of Engineering.

It seems kind of difficult to find data on this.

I have a transfer admission flier that includes their 2011 data, and they have all their departments on the back with percentages next to them. I would assume these are acceptance rates but it does not say anywhere what these numbers mean.

In this flier, the College of Engineering is listed as 17%, which seems like a reasonable number for admissions.

Yet when you Google search "UC Berkeley College of Engineering", a little box pops up on the right with a little overview of the school. Here it says the acceptance rate is 70%. This seems outlandish.

Is there any source that would tell me the acceptance rates for specific majors and departments?

Thank you
Post edited by avatar102329 on

Replies to: UC Berkeley College of Engineering Acceptance Rate?

• rondholmrondholm Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    The College of Engineering announced a 12% acceptance rate during a speech to engineering admits on Cal Day, whereas the overall UC Berkeley acceptance rate is slightly more than 20%.
  • garggauravgarggaurav Posts: 192Registered User Junior Member
    The link below says that for the year 2012-2013, the engineering acceptance rate was 13.2%. So yeah, 12% this year seems reasonable. I am not sure about the overall acceptance rate though. I thought it was around 19%.

Prospective Freshman FAQ ? UC Berkeley College of Engineering

Also remember that for Berkeley engineering, the acceptance rates differ across departments. For eg, EECS would have a lower acceptance than MechE.
  • xmp2012xmp2012 Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    I would like reaffirm rondholm's 12% number. I attended the COE breakfast session also and I remember hearing a number like 11.96% during the talk. Berekely COE acceptance rates for popular majors like EECS & BioE are probably much lower.