Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Poli Sci 2 v. IAS 45

silverspeed86silverspeed86 Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
Political Science 2: Introduction to Comparative Politics (Price)
v.
International and Area Studies 45:Survey of World History (Pearson)

I can't decide which one to take. What do you guys know about the difficulty levels of these two courses? What about the average workload every week? I'm trying not to have a too intense first semester.
Post edited by silverspeed86 on

Replies to: Poli Sci 2 v. IAS 45

• sweetdreams87sweetdreams87 Posts: 773Registered User Member
    I think IAS45 is the harder course. I would take PS2 if I were you. Price is supposed to be a fairly good professor for PS2, while Pearson isn't. you want to take IAS45 with Karras, who hopefully will be teaching it next spring or fall. Both require a fair amount of reading.
  • dude9dude9 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    is IAS 45 one of those classes with a lot of papers? How are the tests?
    Well, I took IAS45 w/ Karras and so I don't really know what Pearson's like. But there will probably be one term paper, and two midterms plus final. I thought the tests (again, w/ Karras) were very reasonable
  • silverspeed86silverspeed86 Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    hey sweetdreams, what did you get in the class? also, how do you know that poli sci 2 is easier? it's also a ton of reading. have you taken both classes?
    Sorry, I don't do grade disclosure :) But I did fine.
    I've taken PS2 before, but not with Price. With De Neufville. Worst. Professor. EVER. I know people who have taken PS2 w/ Price, and they like the experience.

I think that PS2 is more like a classic freshman "intro" class. Whereas IAS45 has a little more depth? I don't really know how to explain it
  • dude9dude9 Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    are the midterms and final for IAS45 in class essays?
  • TedfordIsGodTedfordIsGod Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I had Pearson for IAS 45 last semester. As far as workload, there are about 60 pages of reading a week and 2 5-page essays for the semester. Midterms are quote identification from readings and essays about the readings and lectures.

I personally found the professor to be a great lecturer, because he outlines his entire lecture on the board and makes notetaking very easy. He is fairly hyper and goes through alot of material, which is fine for a history buff like me. The readings are semi-relevent to the lectures, and some are more important than others. As long as you semi-read them, you be able to pull off a B (or an A- like me).