Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Retaking A Class

d=]d=] Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
1) Does it replace your old grade (only the new grade is factored into your gpa)? Or do both grades show up on your transcript?

2) If it does replace your old grade, does your transcript show that you retook the class?

3) Can you retake a class even if you did not fail it (but got a B or C)?

Thanks
Post edited by d=] on

Replies to: Retaking A Class

• undecidedundecided Posts: 2,029Registered User Senior Member
    1) Yes; Yes
    2) Yes (it will show the title and number of the course both times you took it)
    3) Usually no. You're sometimes welcome to take the class twice, but the grade from the first time you took it will NOT be replaced.

General Catalog - Policies - Repetition of Courses
  • calitennisgirl55calitennisgirl55 Posts: 333Registered User Member
    ..yep^^^^^
  • rider730rider730 Posts: 2,980Registered User Senior Member
    Some grad schools will recalculate your GPA to include the first grade as well as the retake, so beware.
  • icieicie Posts: 67Registered User Junior Member
    I took multi variable calculus in high school at a local community college and got a B. I am aware that the college credit will transfer over, but can i still retake it for a letter grade once I'm at Cal?

Since i had 8 classes when i took multi variable calculus, i feel like i didn't spend enough time on it, and i would like to retake it to fully understand the concepts.
    You should probably be able to take Multi-Var Calculus when you get to Berkeley, as I think it's only the units that transfer and any specific subject credit must be approved by someone in the department once you get on campus. You can just choose not to transfer the subject credit for multi-var.

In the administrative sense of the word, though, you cannot "retake" that class. You will just be taking it again. Both grades will be visible, though of course on the one taken at Berkeley will affect your GPA.
  • dragongirl113dragongirl113 Posts: 250Registered User Junior Member
    how many times can you retake a class if you get a c- or below?
  • dragongirl113dragongirl113 Posts: 250Registered User Junior Member
    moving on up..
  • IVIAuricIVIAuric Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
    Once per class, I think. With a maximum of 12 units of retakes total.
  • 20LEGEND20LEGEND Posts: 1,359Registered User Senior Member
    Can you retake a class if you've got a B in it but need a B+ for your major?
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: It's possible you can take it again and have both grades on your transcript, but many (most?) classes have a restriction disallowing you from taking the same class twice unless it's a variable topics course.

ESPECIALLY if it's a major prereq in high demand.
    Slightly longer answer to augment what undecided has said. If you get a D+ or lower in a class and then retake it, the new grade replaces the old and your GPA is improved. If you got a C- or higher, then the old grade remains part of your GPA and the new one is not counted, even though both grades will be listed on your transcript. Some other complications exist, such as a limit of 12 units of repeated courses to replace bad grades with new. These are College of L&S policies, other colleges may have different rules.
  • 8888888888888888 Posts: 4,466Registered User Senior Member
    hmm what do grad/professional school think about retakes?
    Depends upon the school, but some clearly consider both in calculating a GPA, thus your GPA will be lower than it appears on your Cal transcript.

This is why Withdrawal and Incomplete are important strategic weapons to consider, not just retake.
  • sakuraxsakurax Posts: 1,112Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you all for the information! [:
  • 8888888888888888 Posts: 4,466Registered User Senior Member
    what's difference between withdrawal and incomplete..?