Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Northern California vs Southern California Residents

jellybungstersjellybungsters Posts: 3Registered User New Member
Does anyone know of any published statistics regarding the percentage of Northern California Residents vs Southern California residents that were admitted to Berkeley and the same statistics for UCLA?

I'm wondering if Berkeley admits more students from Northern California vs Southern California and whether UCLA is the opposite.
Post edited by jellybungsters on

Replies to: Northern California vs Southern California Residents

• caitylincaitylin Posts: 191Registered User Junior Member
    im a socal resident who got into cal but not ucla. but i think in general my school had more ucla admits than cal. i doubt there would be statistics on that though because they tend to separate by state, not area within the state.
  • someguy1337someguy1337 Posts: 349Registered User Member
    I'm from SoCal and it seems like in recent years Berkeley has admitted more from my school than UCLA. A friend of mine theorized that Cal wants more SoCal residents and UCLA wants more NorCal residents to have a more "diverse" class. I'm not sure how if this is true but it seems somewhat logical. Last year my school had 20+ Berkeley admits, and a mere 4 or 5 UCLA admits.
  • dill_scoutdill_scout Posts: 347Registered User Member
    My graduating socal high school class was the opposite last year. Berkeley admitted 18 while UCLA admitted 24. The accepted UCLA kids had an average GPA of 4.2039 while those who were accepted by Berkeley had an average GPA of 4.1493. It seems like UCLA is more GPA oriented at least in this case.
  • sakuraxsakurax Posts: 1,112Registered User Senior Member
    I really don't think there's a correlation. :/
  • 8888888888888888 Posts: 4,466Registered User Senior Member
    Neither do i....
  • iVinsheiVinshe Posts: 446Registered User Member
    If it helps at all, in Chem 1A last semester, we took a poll, and it basically came out to like 47% from the Bay Area, 45% from Socal, and the rest from Norcal.
    47% bay area.. 45 % socal.. and do you mean rest are from oos or international?
    That is not a very good sample. It only limits to chemistry students.
  • rc251rc251 Posts: 1,414Registered User Senior Member
    Hmm .
  • lemon_lime_rushlemon_lime_rush Posts: 403Registered User Member
    I'm from NorCal and I got into Berkeley but not LA.
    im from socal got into berkeley but not la