Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Move In Day Check In

berkeley_kidberkeley_kid Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
What do you need to have in order to check in to get your key and room #?
Post edited by berkeley_kid on

Replies to: Move In Day Check In

• rofflezrofflez Posts: 335Registered User Member
    I think all I needed was my CalID. they'll have a big checkin list, and under your name will be your room number and they'll get your key using that.
  • berkeley_kidberkeley_kid Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    What if I havent got my CalID yet? can i still check in?
  • SoCaliiiSoCaliii Posts: 357Registered User Member
    I guess you can get your cal id number from your myberkeleyapp, and then bring a driver's license so they can verify who you are.
    How long are the lines usually for Bowles hall check in?
  • Clear my mindClear my mind Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
    How do people in Unit 1 mini suite check in? Isn't it in a separate building?
  • rider730rider730 Posts: 2,980Registered User Senior Member
    Each of the units has a central service building downstairs, with the mailboxes, some study space, etc. That is where everyone in the unit must be queued to pick up the keys to their room. Once you have the key, you then go off to queue for the elevators in your assigned building. The initial line is the monster one. It will stretch up out of the service building, up the stairs and snake around inside the open space between the buildliings of the unit, at least it does in the morning as they are just opening.

If you went to CalSO, you probably checked in down in the service building of one of the units.
  • UCLA77UCLA77 Posts: 656Registered User Member
    @clear my mind: You will stand in line with everyone else in Unit 1 -- there's no separate check in. Keep in mind "Unit 1" is a complex of 6 buildings (or "halls") "built around a large courtyard and a central building that contains the unit office, mail services, and rooms for meetings, events, and parties, and the Academic Services Center". Two of the 6 buildings or halls are mini-suites -- they are the colorful mid-rise units that are the newest of the halls. One of the halls is known as "Slottman Hall" (named after Willliam B. Slottman) and the other is known as "Christian Hall" (named after educator Barbara Christian). To get your key and check in, you will need to go downstairs by the mail services room, as will all those residing in any of the 6 Unit 1 buildings. Down there, you may be able to check out a cart to assist you in bringing your belongings up to your room, if there are any available. You check out carts as you would a library book. Also look for the frat groups that will have carts and will assist you (if you need) is bringing up your belongings.

If this is at all confusing, I suggest you simply find your way to Unit 1, and look for the line, or ask -- everyone is very helpful!
  • Clear my mindClear my mind Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
    Why frat? Why do they manage the carts? So where exactly do I get the cart?
    Why frat? Young, able-bodied men trying to help out overwhelmed frosh. A good-deed act is all. They are trying to help, not trying to get you to join. They have their own carts.

As I said, you can get your own cart, if any are available, downstairs where you check in.
  • Little Cal BearLittle Cal Bear Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Able-bodied? I feel like you are saying frats are able-bodied and frosh are not. Is there a certain body standard to join a frat now?
  • AdequateRemedyAdequateRemedy Posts: 243Registered User Junior Member
    Is foothill all one line like the units, or do la loma and hillside have seperate lines?
    I seem to recall that Foothill is all one line like the units. You check in at the hillside part -- there's a little auditorium to the right of the driveway that goes in a circle. You'll see the line form there.

No Little Cal Bear, no body standard at all -- just able to help. Obviously the fraternity guys that have broken arms or legs or are in a wheel chair may not be able-bodied and wouldn't be able to help. My response was perhaps not so well stated. I thought clear my mind felt the fraternities might have some ulterior motive in just wanting to lend a hand. I thought they might myself, but got none of that vibe.

Moving in can be completely overwhelming, from trying to figure out where you pick up your keys, to how to find your room and roommates, to where you can park a car to unload, to who stands watching your stuff while you wait in line to check in or wait to get a cart or the elevator, to how much stuff you brought and how to get it all up without totally freaking out. Plus, some people have absolutely no one to help them, and others have parents who may not be able to carry a full load. So a frosh can be an Atlas type, but may still need help moving in.
  • woolybugger51woolybugger51 Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    Foothill check-in has two lines; the La Loma line starts at the bottom of Building 1 and as UCLA77 states, the Hillside line begins at the circle parking lot.

Matt
    can anyone tell me where the check in line for bowles is at?
  • arduouspallorarduouspallor Posts: 1,106Registered User Senior Member
    Anyone ever live in Stern? I was wondering if I could just drive in the side lot, empty my stuff, then park. (It seems to me that you're supposed to park, walk to the dorm and get your info, then walk back to drive your car to the drop off spot.)