Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Berkeley vs WashU

aficionado91aficionado91 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
erm so hi everyone.. I got into Cal and WashU, am having a very hard time to decide between the two, would appreciate some advice!
I'm thinking of going to MBA or Law afterwards (i know its very vague)
Is there anyone else who's in a similar situation?
Post edited by aficionado91 on

Replies to: Berkeley vs WashU

• EktaylorEktaylor Posts: 1,623Registered User Senior Member
    I don't see the difficulty in this decision?
  • DianebsDianebs Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Well, I think that you should get into Berkeley. It's the 3rd best university in the world, and an Ivy league, so it is a great name.
    How did you get in ? Do you think I can get into it ? http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/909747-can-i-get-into-nyu-yale.html
    Thank you, oh, and Congrats!
  • aficionado91aficionado91 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    berkeley is not an ivy..
  • confusedboyconfusedboy Posts: 200Registered User Junior Member
    "It's the 3rd best university in the world, and an Ivy league, so it is a great name."

3rd best in the world? Dont kid yourself. I know it's a very good university. But it's not even the 3rd best in the nation. Maybe it's the 3rd best in California. And if berkeley is an ivy, then I would say WashU is an ivy too. Cos, you're implying that all good universities are ivies.
  • DianebsDianebs Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    No, I forgot it was not an ivy. But yes, it's definetly the 3rd best in the world : ARWU 2009 Just after Harvard and Stanford.
  • BearCubBearCub Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    Ok, then I can argue that WashU is definitely better than Berkeley for undergrad. National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

But that's not the point. You should not use ranking systems to compare good universities.
  • RamblinmanRamblinman Posts: 613Registered User Member
    It really depends on what you want to do. Engineering at Berkeley (at least EECS) is in the top 3. It is arguably the best public in the U.S., but it still depends on what you want to do.

I would choose Cal over WashU, because I like Berkeley, engineering is extremely strong at Cal, and it has a environment that I like. I didn't really like St. Louis, but you might.

In general rankings don't mean much, as how well you fit matters more. I think you should look at the specific departments you are interested in, and compare them.

If you are doing engineering I would definitely recommend Cal though.