Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How Difficult Is It To Switch Majors for a Transfer Student?

EquietherEquiether Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
Title: friend got admitted to Berkeley but applied as a math major, which he isn't entirely sure he's set on. Would it be easy to switch majors within L&S? What about to another college like engineering, very hard to near impossible I'd think? Thanks.
Post edited by Equiether on

Replies to: How Difficult Is It To Switch Majors for a Transfer Student?

• 33hours33hours Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    For a transfer student, you can't get into school of engineering. I think you can't switch major once you are a transfer student. If one can, then changing major in L&S would be easier. Did transfer kids get in now? Why all the transfer posts all the sudden?
  • HelloAllHelloAll Posts: 1,156Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know about transfers (I would think that its more binding than if you were a freshman admit) but generally, for freshmen admits, majors between L&S is very easy to do. L&S -> Engineering is pretty hard to do since you'll have to get good grades in the pre-req for engineers. (which I assume is too late for transfers).
  • EquietherEquiether Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    I think Berkeley decision was released today, that's why. My initial thoughts on the matter were the same as yours..engineering would be impossible, switching within L&S might be feasible. Any transfer students confirm?
  • EquietherEquiether Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
  • niners618niners618 Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    I think if you got into L&S it doesn't really matter which major you declare (i.e. if you got in as a political science major you can declare as a history major) as long as you got the classes you need for declaration, etc. From what I understand you can't declare for anything outside of the college you got into. I would only recommend switching if you got the classes for it because, depending on what the major will be, getting into the classes you need within 4 semesters is pretty difficult if you're trying to start fresh. Then again, do what you want, it's your money lol.