College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
I'm an upcoming senior, class of 2013, considering applying. I'm not sure whether UCs prefer unweighted GPA or UC-weighted GPA. My unweighted for soph/fresh year is 3.2. My UC-weighted is 3.625. However, I have an extreme upward trend (look below for full statistics, I went from 3.0 (3.167W)/2.67 (2.8W) to 3.67/3.67 (4.2W).
So, do UCs look primarily at unweighted, or UC-weighted? Help would really be appreciated, I'm stressing out :(. Chance me if possible too, haha. I have pretty good stats I think.
- High School: Extremely rigorous, top 50 high schools in the nation
- Indian (South Asian)
- Income: 150k
*Computer Science Major*
I messed up really bad in high school until junior year. W = weighted, UW, = unweighted
Freshman Year: 2.5 UW/W, 2.83 UW/W
Sophmore year: 3.0 UW (3.167 W), 2.67 UW (2.83W)
Junior Year: 3.67 UW (4.167 W), 3.67 UW (4.167 W) --- 3 APs
UC Weighted GPA: 3.62
Going to attempt again in October, I'm positive I will get at least a 2100, and possibly a 2200.
1st attempt: 32
Going to attempt again in September, aiming for 34 or higher.
SAT II: Math (760), Bio (770)
- 150 hours community service
- DECA (Business Club):
- 3rd in Northern California for Math Marketing
- 4th for presentation, 8th overall for Advertising Campaign in States competition
- YouTube Partner with a channel on Technology (relates to my major, computer science)
- 2,800 subscribers
- My technology guides and reviews have been watched 1.1 MILLION times
- Currently building a website for an upcoming organization that raises money for charity through gaming
- 2 years JV Badminton
- Intro to Computer Science course over the summer, got an A
- Intro to Programming in C course over the summer, got an A
- Currently developing an iPhone app!
I have been slacking throughout high school until junior year. At the summer, end of the sophmore year, I went to India and realized I'm taking everything I have for granted. While others in India are yearning to learn but forced into crappy, mediocre schools, if any, I am slacking off, even though I am given the opportunity to attend one of the nations top 50 high schools. The vacation to India opened my eyes, and I realized I need to make the most of my fortunate situation. I tried throughout junior year, with 3 AP courses, and got a 3.67 unweighted, 4.167 weighted GPA.
I'm absolutely positive I will have *atleast* a 3.67 Unweighted GPA, 4.3 Weighted. My rigorous schedule next year:
- AP Calc BC
- AP Physics B
- AP World
- Regular English
What are my chances of getting in? I'm extremely passionate about technology and would love if I could further develop my knowledge by majoring in Comp Sci at great college. Should I even apply, or forget it? How important is the unweighted GPA, and the UC-weighted GPA? Is my 3.625 high enough to have a chance? Please help, I'm stressed.