College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM
I'm an upcoming senior, class of 2013, considering applying. I'm not sure whether UCs prefer unweighted GPA or UC-weighted GPA. My unweighted for soph/fresh year is 3.2. My UC-weighted is 3.625. However, I have an extreme upward trend (look below for full statistics, I went from 3.0 (3.167W)/2.67 (2.8W) to 3.67/3.67 (4.2W).
So, do UCs look primarily at unweighted, or UC-weighted? Help would really be appreciated, I'm stressing out :(. Chance me if possible too, haha. I have pretty good stats I think.
- High School: Extremely rigorous, top 50 high schools in the nation
- Indian (South Asian)
- Income: 150k
*Computer Science Major*
I messed up really bad in high school until junior year. W = weighted, UW, = unweighted
Freshman Year: 2.5 UW/W, 2.83 UW/W
Sophmore year: 3.0 UW (3.167 W), 2.67 UW (2.83W)
Junior Year: 3.67 UW (4.167 W), 3.67 UW (4.167 W) --- 3 APs
UC Weighted GPA: 3.62
Going to attempt again in October, I'm positive I will get at least a 2100, and possibly a 2200.
1st attempt: 32
Going to attempt again in September, aiming for 34 or higher.
SAT II: Math (760), Bio (770)
- 150 hours community service
- DECA (Business Club):
- 3rd in Northern California for Math Marketing
- 4th for presentation, 8th overall for Advertising Campaign in States competition
- YouTube Partner with a channel on Technology (relates to my major, computer science)
- 2,800 subscribers
- My technology guides and reviews have been watched 1.1 MILLION times
- Currently building a website for an upcoming organization that raises money for charity through gaming
- 2 years JV Badminton
- Intro to Computer Science course over the summer, got an A
- Intro to Programming in C course over the summer, got an A
- Currently developing an iPhone app!
I have been slacking throughout high school until junior year. At the summer, end of the sophmore year, I went to India and realized I'm taking everything I have for granted. While others in India are yearning to learn but forced into crappy, mediocre schools, if any, I am slacking off, even though I am given the opportunity to attend one of the nations top 50 high schools. The vacation to India opened my eyes, and I realized I need to make the most of my fortunate situation. I tried throughout junior year, with 3 AP courses, and got a 3.67 unweighted, 4.167 weighted GPA.
I'm absolutely positive I will have *atleast* a 3.67 Unweighted GPA, 4.3 Weighted. My rigorous schedule next year:
- AP Calc BC
- AP Physics B
- AP World
- Regular English
What are my chances of getting in? I'm extremely passionate about technology and would love if I could further develop my knowledge by majoring in Comp Sci at great college. Should I even apply, or forget it? How important is the unweighted GPA, and the UC-weighted GPA? Is my 3.625 high enough to have a chance? Please help, I'm stressed.