Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Advantages/Disadvantages of Davis????

hmkbhmkb Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
If any of you guys are current Davis students or have been to Davis, I just wanted to know what the advantages and disadvantages of Davis are. Currently, I'm choosing between attending NYU and UC Davis...any insight would be much appreciated! :D Thanks!
Post edited by hmkb on

Replies to: Advantages/Disadvantages of Davis????

• HImomHImom Posts: 18,056Registered User Senior Member
    WOW, those are two toally different places & it would be good for you to visit both to get a feel for each school (an overnight would be a great idea of where you would be happiest for the next 4 years). Davis is a wonderful little college town. You can bike to most places & they also have buses that take you around. It has grown since I was there 1979-1982, but it is still pretty rural/rustic, especially compared to NYU. They do have a nice gym & performance center. It is HUGE, with a very large student body. The nearest cities are Sacramento (about an hour away) or SF (which was about two hours away). Davis has a huge Asian population--40% of the undergrad student body & 38% whilte. Undergrads are 97% CA residents. http://admissions.ucdavis.edu/info/facts_figures.cfm
    http://facts.ucdavis.edu/student_headcount_ethnicity.lasso

I loved my time at Davis as a grad/pro student in 1979-82 & my niece loved her time there as an undergrad in English & business 1999-2003. Only you can figure out whether NYU or UCDavis is a better fit for YOU & your interests. Both are great schools--congrats!
    HImom
  • hmkbhmkb Posts: 150Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you! :D

Only problem is that I'm an international student...so I can't visit any campus...but thank you so much for that info :)....any disadvantages of going to UC Davis? I've only heard so many good things about it so far...
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Posts: 4,257Registered User Senior Member
    HImom where do you live? Davis is only 15 minutes from Sacramento.
  • collegemom16collegemom16 Posts: 4,257Registered User Senior Member
    And only a little over an hour to the bay area.
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 1,914Registered User Senior Member
    NYU vs. Davis.
    Climate:
    Davis,You can be outdoors most days although you will run into rain and some 40degree weather during the winter. Snow would be exotic and shortlived if it ever fell there. A water and wind proof jacket over a sweater will get you through the worst of it.

NYU, It will snow during the winter (late October into April) You will need a winter parker for half of the school year.

Town, city
    Davis is a middle sized American town and is recognized as one of the best places to live with a bicycle. The campus is adjacent to the town so it is a short bike ride or walk into their shops and resturants. There are a couple of movie theaters in town. There are free buses to take you around town if you are carrying packages. No big stores, but many smaller nice ones. Davis is a friendly college town. Flat and easily understood. There are buses and trains into San Francisco and a bus to the Berkeley Campus ( just outside of San Francisco).

NYU is located in a busy City with all of the fast pace, extensive shopping opportunities that you would expect. NYU is just inside the door way from the streets of New York. City sounds, sites, opportunities and challenges. There are unlimited eating, entertainment and cultural activities.

Disadvantages of Davis: UC colleges have become more crowded and it can be difficult for some students to get enrolled into their first choice classes. This is a function of majors and a number of other factors that I would not feel competent comparing with NYU.

If you have a preference for pace of life, Davis is slower, NYC is most likely much faster.
    wow, thank you! :)

Would it be even more hard if I'm planning to change my major...since I'd have to go through one quarter of my initially intended major in Davis then switch to the major I want...so would that put me at a disadvantage in choosing the classes I want in Davis?

NYU I can request a change of major during Welcome Week.

I'm in love with both universities..I really cannot decide... :(
  • jas0njas0n Posts: 1,527Registered User Senior Member
    I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff, but I'm going to assume this is correct about Davis...

I've heard of people changing their majors before their first quarter began by bugging the faculty over the summer. I think you are not required to take classes that are a part of your major, and not being in the major probably won't impact you much. You can try taking classes to fulfill the requirements of the major you actually intend to join during the first quarter and then change. As everyone says, the first two years are used to fulfill general ed requirements anyway. There will probably be undeclared students in major specific classes.

Anyway, it's cool to see someone consider NYU and UCD at the same time :]. You are awesome, haha.
  • calimoncalimon Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    I've lived in Davis for more than 30 years (obviously I'm not a student), my husband got his PhD. here and is a professor on campus, and our son is a sophmore, living on campus, so we represent a lot of Davis. Our son has always been able to get into his classes. After the first quarter, he had about 45 credits (a year's worth) applied to his transcripts from his AP classes in high school. These will not get him out of any classes (if they are in your major, you need to take them over it seems, and he was told they can not fulfill any GE requirements - they just act as extra units). What they do is give him more priority for registering for classes. He is a science major and started on his major requirements right away - year long course of chemistry, calculus, physics, biology, etc., along with taking GE classes. He really likes being a student here - he's done well. It's definitely mellower (until you get on Interstate 80!) here. We're also an hour to Berkeley, a little more to San Francisco, an hour or so to Napa, two hours to Lake Tahoe and skiing, camping and more. UC Davis is really growing, has a top notch Performing Arts Center and student exercise center, and lots of new buildings, but still seems to maintain a relaxed atmosphere. Good luck. Do virtual tours of the campus and look at the catalogs, photos, etc.
  • HImomHImom Posts: 18,056Registered User Senior Member
    I'd try contacting Davis to find out how difficult it is to switch majors. If you want to switch into an "impacted major," it may be tough, according to the guides we heard during the tour at Davis. I'm sorry about the wrong estimates of how long it takes to get between Davis & Sacramento &/or Berkeley/SF. I defer to those more knowledgable.

To me, so much of the decision would depend on whether you're a big city person (NYU) or small town person (UCD).
  • othersiderockothersiderock Posts: 49Registered User Junior Member
    I'm pretty sure that it's easy to change your major at davis as long as you're staying in your college. I'm sorry that I don't have a website to back that up or anything. You should come to davis. The west coast has the best and most friendly people, haha. I'm so opiniated.
  • PearlinthemistPearlinthemist Posts: 697Registered User Member
    There have been several boards with people concerned about switching majors, etc.. the bottom line is it's not difficult at all. It's basically just filling out a piece of paper and turning it in.
    Thank you so much! :) You're all awesome!!

Sorry for the delay (time zone difference...I'm an international student)...

If there are more suggestions, please help me out...I'm still in the process of deciding haha...the thing with me is that I like both city and country in the same time (I know it's weird, but that's just who I am hahaha)...I'm actually intending to complete a pre-pharmacy major in either Davis or NYU...I'm probably going to major in chemistry...my initial major was civil engineering. I believe that the chemistry program in both universities is pretty much the same (in terms of competitiveness and reputation/recognition). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks again! :D You've all been a tremendous help to me :)
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 1,914Registered User Senior Member
    I would look for a student who has the major you are interested in and find out about their experience in getting into the prerequisite courses required for majors. My D is also a first year Sophmore (thanks to AP courses) but she has continued to be shut out of the introductory level courses of the major she had originally intended. It is one of the reasons so many UC students take longer than 4 years to complete their BS. Her advisor told her that she might not be able to get into her major's prerequisites until the middle of her second year. This gets complicated because she also wants to study abroad during her junior year. End result - switching major to assure a timely graduation...will attempt to take original major classes when they become available to her. She has friends in different majors who have had no problem with thier course selections.
  • aznviper06aznviper06 Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    dont want to intrude, but what major did she intend to do at first?