Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Lowest Accepted GPA/SAT Stories to UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI and UCSB

cinnabon1234cinnabon1234 Posts: 452Registered User Member
title says all guys! it'd be great if you could all post your relatively low GPA/SATs if you were accepted into the following schools. Just wanna give hope to people who will be applying in the future/have already applied for this year. :)
Post edited by cinnabon1234 on

Replies to: Lowest Accepted GPA/SAT Stories to UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI and UCSB

• iequalstudentiequalstudent Posts: 215Registered User Junior Member
  • HCOdudeHCOdude Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    My friend with a 3.2 gpa,1300 (M+CR+W) SAT, and 21 ACT got into UCI with an AMAZING personal statement. It brought many to tears.
  • HCOdudeHCOdude Posts: 147Registered User Junior Member
    Oh, and I know of a URM with a 4.5 and 1400 SAT (M+CR+W) who got into UCLA.
  • iequalstudentiequalstudent Posts: 215Registered User Junior Member
    Btw, just got a UCLA request for supplementary questionnaire today. Should I be disappointed? =/
  • HoneyFlower92HoneyFlower92 Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
    Bump bump

Sent from my Desire HD using CC
  • wisdomainwisdomain Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    I know someone who got accepted to every UC aside from LA with an 1800 and mediocre ECs. But to be fair, he did go to a fairly solid school, took the hardest classes available, and had a pretty good GPA.

I also know someone who scored in the mid 1700s and got into every UC. But she had spectacular ECs and a good GPA.
  • ShibykinShibykin Posts: 809Registered User Member
    i had like a 3.4ish and a 2100 SAT I score and I got in every school except UC Davis lol. (Yes I know, I thought the admission officers were on something when I saw the acceptance letters)
  • ydp123ydp123 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    @Shibykin Were you accepted while you lived in California, or were you in a different state? Also, was your 3.4 GPA weighted or unweighted? Which do most people refer to?
    I live in NJ, so I fear that it'll be harder to get admitted from here.
  • dumbkatdumbkat Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    Me. UCI
    GPA: 3.1 UC: 3.34
    ACT: 35
    Essays were kicking rad, talked about how sculpting and unicycling helped me to find myself.
  • dustinthewinddustinthewind Posts: 178Registered User Junior Member
    People with 3.5s UW and low 2000s or high 1900s on the SAT got into UCLA/UCB during my grad year (2009).

Typically 1-3 APs. Lots of ECs for one girl, none for another. No engineering majors got in with those kind of stats. Majors they got in for.. mass communications, other liberal art majors.

It really, really depends on what major you chose. Getting into Cal for comms/soc is very different from getting in for biomedical engineering or EECS.

Of course, its all holistic (or so they want us to think.) GPA seems to make up about 40% of the decision, test scores another 40%.. last 20% are ECs and other factors.

Oh, but my school is pretty competitive. All the kids I was with in my last two years pretty much took all AP classes. Everyone went somewhere with a name that starts dinner conversations. The "lowest" tier college most people went to was UCSD, and even then they were accepted to "better" schools. They just liked the environment.

5% ivys, 20% ucb/ucla, 30% ucsd. the rest went to other well known schools (wustl,cmu etc)
  • DesiCollegeGalDesiCollegeGal Posts: 406Registered User Member
    In-state Friend got in to ALL UCs but Berkeley (eh, that WAS impossible for him) with an 2.98 UW (3.3 W), 2400 SAT, out-of-this-world Harvard-Esque ECs, and a personal statement that won the national essay award. Yeah, it can happen--he attends UCLA (Class of 2015) currently.

Why I didn't apply? They hate OOS Bostonians ;) (Though I really like Berkeley, I must admit.)
  • thelonghalloweenthelonghalloween Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    I just got into Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara with sat of 1730. But my essays were pretty strong.
  • chainiwatmjchainiwatmj Posts: 446Registered User Member
    @wisdomain
    I wanna be like that girl you talked about
    my SAT: 1780
    I got in every UC's so far and I am hoping for 2 more.
  • heiblehheibleh Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    UCD Here
    I got in with 3.67 Weighted GPA and 1390 SAT scores.
    Essay was very unique.
  • jgaPer2jgaPer2 Posts: 65Registered User Junior Member
    Got into UCSB and UCSC with SAT of 1730 and 3.7 GPA. Lucky 7s.