Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC Students, How Many Credits Do You have?

Louis XIIILouis XIII Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
I sat down and planned my final year, and I realized that I will have about 297/310 units if everything goes well!

Even though I:
Am a double major
Changed Majors
Study abroad
Did lots of stuff on campus

I think this is insane! Will they kick me out??!!! I'm going to finish off in my designated 15 quarters.

So, how many units do you have?
Post edited by Louis XIII on

Replies to: UC Students, How Many Credits Do You have?

• Art is MelodicArt is Melodic Posts: 355Registered User Member
    what school do you go to?

and how many years have you been there?
  • cjuecjue Posts: 304Registered User Junior Member
    I just finished my second year. Including my "in-progress" summer classes, I stand at 90/120 units-- which gives me a senior status as a 3rd-year. Two more years to go!
    Surprisingly enough, none of my units came from AP scores (since I've never taken an AP exam in my life). And I'm not a double-major (though I wanted to double in art studio). My high unit count all came from college classes. I think I just went a bit overboard with the experimenting in different subjects (from astronomy to journalism to toxicology to meditation). Oh well, I've settled down now. :)

I go to a semester UC btw-- so the number of units required for graduation is less than what would be required at a quarter school. (I was a bit confused by your 310-figure haha).
  • MercurialMercurial Posts: 185Registered User Junior Member
    ...I thought the unit cap was 200 units, 240 for doublemajors. I dont think each school varies THAT much in unit caps O_o

Where DO you go, anyway?
    unit caps vary from school to school, UC irvine does not have one, UCSD is at 200, and UCLA is at 216
  • Louis XIIILouis XIII Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    I go to UCSC. The unit cap here is 235 for double majors or 15 quarters- which ever works for the student. The thing is...I'm going to need 2 more quarters and will graduate well above the 235 limit. More like around 290.

I'm going to have to write a letter to my provost + talk to the committee on educational policy to get my mess approved. I don't see why I shouldn't- I'm not taking fluff classes-I need these classes for my degree.

I was just a lost soul and poor planner. Lol.

ETA: I also saw this question on UCla' lj page one time. The students who responded had units in the 280-310 range. They said that the UC didn't care as long as you paid and were out by 6 years.
  • VehementBehemothVehementBehemoth Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    I have 52/230 units (Engineering cap for UCSD). I'm starting college in the fall.
  • wishingsonastarwishingsonastar Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    does anyone know what the financial aid cap on units is for single vs double majors/minor?
    i think you get financial aid with out hesitation, as long as your an undergrad
  • Jason2009Jason2009 Posts: 1,280Registered User Senior Member
    I have 20 units so if I want I can be a sophomore in the inter quarter if not till spring for 5 units
  • sutoroberriisutoroberrii Posts: 163Registered User Junior Member
    Started off with uh... 40something? units right off the bat.

Am now at 90something. :] IDK, too lazy to calculate. All I know is that probably by the end of my second year, I will have senior standing. Not like that means anything... LOL.