Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Bad Senior Year Grades. Rescind?

zprophetyzprophety Posts: 72Registered User Junior Member
My 1st semester Senior year grades aren't to jolly.
I've gotten 4 C's in all my AP Classes. The rest of my 2 classes, I got A's. in.
I know that these grades are miserable, but I have a legitimate excuse as my mom
lost her job and it was financially hard on the family.
If you look at my Junior 2nd semester grades vs Senior 1st semester grades; there's a BIG drop. But mind you, I'm doing ALOT better 2nd semester Senior year.
I'm really scared that I might get into UCLA/UCB, but get my offer rescinded as a result
of my 1st semester senior year grades.
Is there anything I can do?
Post edited by zprophety on

Replies to: Bad Senior Year Grades. Rescind?

• peterr86peterr86 Posts: 756Registered User Member
    Only inform them and pray for the best i believe the U.C's conditional accept requiring a 3.0 gpa in the final year.
  • cp_sabotagecp_sabotage Posts: 161Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA/UCB require a 3.0 unweighted GPA senior year if I remember correctly. That's an average of first and second semester, so you should be fine there.

The other UCs are, again if memory serves, more forgiving in this respect: they require something like a 3.0 WEIGHTED average GPA at most.

Either way, just avoid failing classes and you shouldn't fear being rescinded.

Best,
    cp
  • AskMsSunAskMsSun Posts: 1,767- Senior Member
    You need to inform each UC campus of your less than stellar grades and include an explanation. For Berkeley and UCLA, you need a 3.0 unweighted GPA each semester; the fact your GPA dropped below 3.0 means you are required to report it to those campuses. These campuses will consider your situation and make a judgment call on whether to extend the acceptance or revoke it.

The rest of the UCs have slightly different rules; some allow 3.0 weighted and others will average the whole year. You have to call each UC campus to find out whether you need to send a grade report for consideration.
  • Bludragon41Bludragon41 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I'm in a similar situation. I took 4 AP's this year and I got a really bad grade in AP BC Calculus. I got accepted into UC San Diego, but I'm afraid that they will rescind my admission. I talked to an academic counselor about it, and she said that they need to review my entire transcript. What should I do? Also, I have gotten good grades my first seven semesters, and I have taken a total of six honors classes and five AP's.
  • AskMsSunAskMsSun Posts: 1,767- Senior Member
    When you say "really bad grade," what exactly does that mean? One C is not going to make difference. D or F grade is more serious and you need to officially notify UCSD and offer an explanation for the bad grade, as well as offer a way to make up the course.