Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

difference between custom edition and normal

wackedwithbamboowackedwithbamboo Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
Whats the difference? Do the custom edition textbooks contain less pages? Would it be to my benefit that I buy the "full" version? To me it makes sense to just buy the custom edition seeing as it will only have all the necessary chapters that we will cover and nothing extra. Good idea? I could get used custom editions (from other students) for really cheap :). Also are all books available for looseleaf? Its convenient in that i can choose what chapters i need to bring and leave the rest at home thats why
Post edited by wackedwithbamboo on

Replies to: difference between custom edition and normal

• PoorCookiePoorCookie Posts: 343Registered User Member
    Yes, you're exactly right; the custom editions have hand-picked chapters that the professor will be covering in class.

Buying used, cheap custom editions is the best! However, unless it's super cheap, I would wait until class before you decide to buy one because some professors might absolutely require you to switch to a new edition (or even a new book! so make sure you read the syllabus). Chances are low, but it happens sometimes, and it certainly sucks. Depending on your classes, I don't think you'll run into that many looseleaf books. They're great for portability but the resell value is like 0 lol. Full version books are a smart buy if you can find one for relatively cheap (for example, I'd rather buy a full version for $160 rather than a custom edition for $150) because selling it afterward will be super easy. Custom editions can't be sold to anyone except for other UCI students, and even then you'll have to sell it for really cheap in order to find someone.