Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Majors at UCLA

floridadad55floridadad55 Posts: 2,262Registered User Senior Member
What undergraduate programs is UCLA best known for?

For example, Northwestern is good for journalism.

And Johns Hopkins is good for pre-med and international relations.
Post edited by floridadad55 on

Replies to: Best Majors at UCLA

• floridadad55floridadad55 Posts: 2,262Registered User Senior Member
    Anyone attending UCLA now who can answer this question???
  • binks09binks09 Posts: 937Registered User Member
    I wouldn't say UCLA is really "best known" for any one thing - although if I were to say, it would be something in the sciences, along the lines of pre-med. The UCLA name itself carries alot of weight. As long as your kid majors in something halfway useful (ie, they don't choose women's studies), they will be fine.
  • FizastFizast Posts: 72User Awaiting Email Confirmation Junior Member
    Electrical Engineering - Integrated Circuit Design
    Rank 2 worldwide, only behind Stanford...
    Yeah I know, pretty random
  • TiaWNPPTiaWNPP Posts: 183Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA is pretty good across the board. Two departments that come to mind immediately are psych and geography, but you'll find well-known professors in almost every department.
  • statuescrumblestatuescrumble Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    I had no idea that EE - integrated circuits was so highly ranked. Probably has to do with Professor Abidi and his simultaneous massive balls and ego.

Im an EE/CE, and Im going switch to CS after muddling around in **** for three years at the EE department. CS professors are all top-notch.
  • lolfaillolfail Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    applied mathematics - #2 behind NYU.
  • SMCguySMCguy Posts: 1,352Registered User Senior Member
    I attend UCLA now and there are tons of pre-med, pre-law students, and business of course...below are the most popular majors, but really every major at UCLA is great!

Biology and related majors
    Business Economics/Economics
    Communication
    Political Science/Sociology/Anthropology
    Psychology
    Film
    Engineering
  • sat_gangstasat_gangsta Posts: 71Registered User Junior Member
    I'm an EE, and our program is a little underrated on national rankings, but its actually pretty tough and well respected in industry in California.

With that said, CS and EE are taught the hardcore way here, like, how they used to teach it back in the 60's or 70's.. apparently. Not necessarily a good thing, but for example you start off learning C++ and then C. Most schools start with Java or Python. Be warned, if you choose EE you have to really be on top of how many classes you have to take and when. I've planned it out and I'm going to barely finish in time now because I took only a few other classes that seemed interesting (Astro 3/4, Society and Genetics), despite coming in with like 44 or so units.