Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How hard is it to switch majors at ucla?

Taytolax31Taytolax31 Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
Ive been accepted to ucla for the class of 2016 as a neuroscience major but I'm starting to get cold feet about that decision. If it turns out neuroscience isn't for me would it be difficult to switch out?
Post edited by Taytolax31 on

Replies to: How hard is it to switch majors at ucla?

• neekzgneekzg Posts: 1,005Registered User Senior Member
    It shouldn't be a problem unless you're trying to get into an impacted/competitive major like engineering or business/economics. Just know that if you switch your major to something completely different (like from neuroscience to outside of the life sciences) you'll have wasted your time on a number of pre-reqs depending on how long you waited before you switched.
  • mikemacmikemac Posts: 7,395Registered User Senior Member
    Into majors in Fine Arts is very difficult, into majors in Engineering is difficult. Within the College of Letters and Science, easy.
  • messi12messi12 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    I've been admitted as a (Pre) Economics major but recently I've become really interested in computer science. How hard would that change of major be if I wanted to do it?
  • PuddingmillkPuddingmillk Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    Just went to an info session today - Communications is extremely hard, (4%) the lady said.

@messi12 - I'm definitely not a UCLA expert myself, but some people asked a similar question today at the Reception day here. I'm not sure about computer science, but each major has its prerequisites you must take, and a required GPA level. I just know that for communication, it would be 3.9 GPA and some courses.
  • emily111emily111 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but...what about undecided students? Would it be difficult to switch to another major within the college of letters and sciences?
  • binks09binks09 Posts: 937Registered User Member
    It's not that hard to switch majors, especially within the same college (ie, L&S).

At orientation, you can change majors by just asking your orientation counselor. For reference, you are grouped into groups of 10-12 or so with others of the same major. So, I was in a group of 11 other pre-business economics majors. By the end of the 3 day orientation, only myself and another individual were still pre-business economics majors.

As for "business economics being competitive", yeah, that's a myth. The only competition is yourself to meet the somewhat high altered-GPA calculation (called a primary score) of 3.3
  • mikemacmikemac Posts: 7,395Registered User Senior Member
    what about undecided students?
    Within the College of Letters and Science, easy. Whether you're a declared major, or not.